Cyclone Test with Response from Rycote

Matthew Sonnenfeld

Thank you Prahlad!

Rycote does have a windjammer for the Cyclone! This was part of their response to the video. Gotham Sound already has a few on order and I will get one :)

Rycote didn't really advertise the windjammer I suppose because they were really trying to push the no fur concept as much as possible. Prior to making this video and hearing from Rycote even Gotham did not know about it.

I did not test fast swinging specifically though I did do some short fast swings and yes, I did hear it. I had to really try to make it happen though and felt that in real use it's probably not a huge deal. In my honest opinion, the Cinela video stresses this further than it would be in real life. "Pixel peeping" if you will excuse the video term.

Not that it's not a problem. And let me be clear, it says a lot for Cinela that the Piano does not have that problem at all! But I just think it's slightly overhyped.

I expect that the Cyclone windjammer will make a huge difference in those extreme situations.

I would love to make a follow up once I do receive the windjammer.

EDIT: just want to clarify, I don't think the Piano is overhyped, I think the cyclone wind noise is slightly overhyped from the swinging test. Re-read my post and thought that might be confusing.

Um... Handling noise on WS4 might be improved if the windjammer tie wasn't smacking against the pistol grip.

I agree that I should have tucked up the tie.  That was an oversight.  But the sound that you hear is not the tie.  It is hard to see on the CMIT shot but the tie is not actually hitting the pistol grip.  The shot with the CMIT was on a different camera with no zoom.  The Blackmagic camera that we were using did not cooperate with the cold weather so we had to finish a couple shots on a Samsung Galaxy and hence the different angle.  If you check the handling noise test with the Sennheiser inside you can see more clearly that the tie does not touch the pole or the grip.

Matthew, I can't remember from your review, but how does the weight of the two systems compare? Do you know the weight of the Cyclone fur?

I do not know the weight of the Cyclone with fur unfortunately so I can't really comment on it specifically.  Weight between the two was roughly equal as it was though with the fur I expect the Cyclone to be a bit heavier.  At that point though I expect the performance to be significantly better than the WS4 so that will be the trade off I expect.

Is there a fur for the Cyclone?Or was this a Rycote arrogance not to provide/make one?If non is available yet, Rycote is in trouble with this product if they want to compete with Cinela..Just had some 'stormy days' (8-9 beaufort) with the piano : no problems at all!(Ok my BoomOp had trouble keeping the mike on spot because of the wind,but the mike (KMR81) sounded really nice! (to my surprise!!) I have Pelicans full of Rycoteproducts,but I'm never going back..! Moneywise..I don't cry all the way to the bank:it's worth the extra money!!

• 3 months later...