RIP John Reynolds

Ron Meyer

I just received word that John Reynolds has passed.   He was a long time sound mixer and boom op in the state of Hawaii.    He was such a great guy.   One of the nicest sound mixers I have ever met.  John specialized in ocean/surfing/Hawaii type work.   It was common for him to be booming from a surf board or one of his own floatation device designs.   John was a regular at the NAB show every year and the RAMPS party too.  RIP John

John had found out very late in the game that he had stage IV pancreatic cancer. I last saw him a couple weeks ago, helping him to clear out some of his gear, a very morbid but practical process - we all knew this was coming and at that time had decided to forgo continuing with kemo, wanted to avoid the energy drain but even after discontinuing, still did not regain any energy. Hospice was with him earlier this week, just found out the news this morning. It is very sad news for Hawaii, and was the island's most experienced sound mixer and valuable asset for Hawaii, but even more important, a good human being and really nice guy. We will all miss John, his penchant for wearing short tan shorts, popular in the 70's and 80's maybe when magnum PI was still filming, even if occasionally a ball sack snuck out. Miss you John.