Crunch time=/ 633 vs 702. Experienced Advice Sought!

foss

I bought the 633 recently after using the 702 for awhile then decided to try out the 633. I love my 633. I went with the non kit option because I didn't need everything in the kit at once and the portabrace bag is suppose to not be really worth the money so I went with building a kit  with the or-30 bag. 

there is a lot of discussions here about bags, so a google search could help.

i use a crumpler jetpack 4000 myself for low profile travel. needs to be modded slightly (i cut a hole for the inputs) but it's cheap, light, small and holds two G3 wireless if needed. prefer it to the more professional bags in fact.

i don't need a power distro or big batteries since i use few accessories so i  generally work with medium size (4000-5000mAh) NP-F batteries

Mungo,

I believe the 633 and 644 have the same analog path on the front end as the 702 744T 442 302, whereas the 552 788T are digital all the way.

Please correct if I'm wrong. I'd like to know for sure

664 and 552 are analogue mixers with A/D at bus points (664 has a lot more A/D)

633 and 788T are digital mixers

552, 302 and 442 have transformer based front ends, all the others are transistor

Weren't 552 and 788T limiters "digital", and 664 and 633 went back to analog limiters similar to those in 442 and 744T?

That's what I remember.

In terms of quality of pres, etc., all of the machines a great, with virtually undetectable differences. It's the limiters and functionally that differ somewhat dramatically.

If you can afford a 633 you can afford a used 744T. Theres plenty of them out there.

While the mic pres in the 6 and 7 series machines are different, I doubt many people can actually tell the difference. One thing to keep in mind is that the 633 has only 3 mic pres and three line-only ins, whereas the 744T has two of each. The 633 is a mixer with recording capabilities, whereas the 744T was designed to be a recorder (usually used with a mixer such as a 442 in front of it).

For your purposes, if it were me, I'd probably get a 744T. You have everything a 702T has plus the option of two extra inputs to utilize down the road if you decide to get a mixer, or even if you are recording out of a console.

Just note a few things with the 663 : low cut is not going under than 80 Hz ( not very good for recording music or sound effect), it has only 3 mic level inputs (not good for 5.1 atmo recording except DMS). But I admit that it is an incredible little mixer/recorder, I am thinking of buying one to go with my 788.

You should try it.

I just spent 6 days on a job with a 633 and could not be happier with the machine/recorder. It's a 1000 times more recorder than the Nagras and DAT recorders we use to use. A 702 & 744 t are good units but they don't record 10 tracks in a form factor that is this rugged and versatile. I don't like to advise anyone on gear because what I like they may not, but this is a well engineered pro piece of gear that does so much. Test drive one, then decide.

CrewC

Agree...   This is not even a question for me....  The 633 by a large margin... if you can afford to get this recorder, do it...  Love mine...

I bought a 633 in the first month that they were out, since it was really the machine I had been dreaming about for my entire career.  Tiny and über powerful.  Not only the best little doc rig  i can imagine, but I shot a indie feature on it last year and it rocked my narrative world as well.  

I usually never buy anything until it's been out in "the wild" for at least a year, but I'm glad I chose to disregard that rule, cause it means I've had the entire last year to enjoy using the 633.

I still have my 744t and it sounds lovely, but the added flexibility and sheer ease of manipulating metadata and multiple audio tracks makes the 663 an easy winner.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin 

633 arrived today.

after a slow unpacking and much "oh god this is expensive, should I keep this?" I quickly forgot my doubts and delighted in how much better my 4060s sound through it. I've only scratched the surface but I think we're going to get along just fine :wub:

Thanks everyone for your help along the way :)

633 arrived today.

after a slow unpacking and much "oh god this is expensive, should I keep this?" I quickly forgot my doubts and delighted in how much better my 4060s sound through it. I've only scratched the surface but I think we're going to get along just fine :wub:

Thanks everyone for your help along the way :)

Forget those doubts, its really cheap, and for a tool that puts food on my family's table, and saves my back, it was a no brainer purchase for me.