old grand central terminal

petersont

Hi -

This is a general appeal for help in locating any ambience recordings of Grand Central Terminal in NYC before 2000. That's the year I believe the old flap display boards used for departure times were replaced by an LCD board. I recall loving the sounds as they clacked away, and then one day walking through felt something was different and discovered they were gone... it was too late.

So while the terminal rehab restored much of the architectural grandeur to the place, this took something away... a bit of lost acoustic history.  Anyway, this is for a personal soundscape project I am working on.

Thanks-

Peter

you really should... if its still there as i think it is, its one of the very few left in the USA. The sole other one on the east coast supposedly Rhode Island. And every space is of course different, uniquely reverberant. In researching the Grand Central Terminal flap display board I came across an orchestral performance / homage: first movement, "I. Solari Di Udine". 

Not sure what sort of security scrutiny I will get, but I'd like to show up with a small SPS200 or DMS rig and let it run for a good while. 

An old dilemma: better to ask & risk No, or give it a try & feign ignorance... I'll be sure to have 'my papers' mit mich.

An old dilemma: better to ask & risk No, or give it a try & feign ignorance... I'll be sure to have 'my papers' mit mich.

Bei mir ;)

I have done a few "unofficial" recordings in airports and it usually works without problem, if you don't draw too much attention to yourself. I usually put my mic (in a zepp) on top of my bag, which I'll try to place somewhere high, like a balcony of sorts. I'll check levels and then sit next to the bag like it's no one's business.

Remember Douglas Adams? Just establish a "none of your business" zone around it. You can do that yourself.