788t internal TOD battery

Wyatt Tuzo

If it's on the SD site, I sure couldn't find it... The 744, yes- the 788, no.

Before I delve into this, let me preface by saying that I was both in a time crunch, and am very comfortable with electronics. This isn't difficult to do, just know that you assume all responsibility should something get screwed up.

So, here goes:

You will have to remove all cover screws plus the strap post screws on the side of your choosing.

On my particular serial numbered machine, the battery holder is mounted on a PCB just below the hard drive (between the disk and the input jacks). I used a non-conductive tweeker and a pair of long thin needle-nosed pliers. If you don't have a non-conductive tweeker or the like, use something like a tooth pick.

**before opening the case, remove L battery and disconnect any power source**

First, gently remove glue glob with pliers

Next gently push the battery (from the back corner) toward the opening of its holder with your non-conductive probe.

As soon as you've gotten it out enough to grab ahold of the dead batt with the pliers, channel your innermost "Operation" champ and remove that thing.

Next, just install your new batt (positive side up, in my case.. Confirm this when removing yours)

I decided to add another dollop of hot glue to mine, just to ensure it wouldn't shake loose. The blob of glue really just sits outside the battery holder slot and acts as a retainer.

Anyway. Sorry no pics. Hopefully this makes sense

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wyatt-  I'm glad I could help.

There are actually TWO batteries in the 788t -- one is the Time Of Day battery, the other is the actual timecode battery. The TOD battery is easily accessed and can be swapped quickly as Wyatt described. The Time code battery is a more difficult and time consuming process - it involves removing a circuit board - and should be done at an electronics bench.

And Miles is right, it is recommended that a qualified tech do both procedures to avoid any problems.

Thanks for the heads up Ryan. My TC batt was fine, just my TOD crapping out on me.

The bummer is, my machine was recently in for routine maintenance. It seems like a good practice would be for SD to just replace such components whenever they have a machine in for service. The cost could be easily passed to the end user.

Oh well

Thanks for the heads up Ryan. My TC batt was fine, just my TOD crapping out on me.

The bummer is, my machine was recently in for routine maintenance. It seems like a good practice would be for SD to just replace such components whenever they have a machine in for service. The cost could be easily passed to the end user.

Oh well

it would be nice if it didn't take a "routine maintenance" visit to simply change the batteries. seems to be a little too costly.

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2015 at 6:08 PM, Wyatt Tuzo said:

If it's on the SD site, I sure couldn't find it... The 744, yes- the 788, no.

Before I delve into this, let me preface by saying that I was both in a time crunch, and am very comfortable with electronics. This isn't difficult to do, just know that you assume all responsibility should something get screwed up.

So, here goes:

You will have to remove all cover screws plus the strap post screws on the side of your choosing.

On my particular serial numbered machine, the battery holder is mounted on a PCB just below the hard drive (between the disk and the input jacks). I used a non-conductive tweeker and a pair of long thin needle-nosed pliers. If you don't have a non-conductive tweeker or the like, use something like a tooth pick.

**before opening the case, remove L battery and disconnect any power source**

First, gently remove glue glob with pliers

Next gently push the battery (from the back corner) toward the opening of its holder with your non-conductive probe.

As soon as you've gotten it out enough to grab ahold of the dead batt with the pliers, channel your innermost "Operation" champ and remove that thing.

Next, just install your new batt (positive side up, in my case.. Confirm this when removing yours)

I decided to add another dollop of hot glue to mine, just to ensure it wouldn't shake loose. The blob of glue really just sits outside the battery holder slot and acts as a retainer.

Anyway. Sorry no pics. Hopefully this makes sense

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wyatt,

I keep going back to these instructions. I just switched out a hard drive on one of the 788s and did the TOD battery, too. Thanks for posting this.

Josh