Tascam DR-680m2

Improvements from the original DR-680

Improved audio quality

Through extended listening tests, a new op-amp and capacitor were selected for the mic preamps to deliver improved audio quality.

Support for SDXC cards

Readily available SD/SDHC cards are used for recording media. The DR-680MKII also supports SDXC cards, which have higher capacities - enabling recording for long periods of time.

Take (file) numbers can be reset using the "Take No. Init" function

The numbers added to recorded file names can be reset. Resetting the take numbers used for each recorded scene is now possible, making file management even easier.

Improved battery life

The newly improved battery life of the DR-680mkII means that the battery now lasts 150% longer than previous DR-680.

Improved clock precision

The precision of the built-in clock oscillator has been improved – making synchronization more accurate when used with video devices.

Dual recording function allows two files to be recorded simultaneously at different levels.

A second file can be recorded simultaneously at a lower level for a distortion-free safety track. This allows you to set the recording level high and make a backup recording at a lower level in case of an unexpected sudden increase in sound level, which may create distortion in the primary file. The DR-680MKII can make −12dB backup recordings of audio input through inputs 1, 3 and 5.

Playback of multitrack recordings

The DR-680MKII can load multitrack audio files. Multitrack materials (multiple mono files) prepared with a DAW, for example, can be played back.

Support for lithium batteries

In addition to alkaline and NiMH batteries, lithium batteries - which can provide extended power - are supported.

Tascam came out with a new recorder to replace the old DR-680

http://tascam.com/product/dr-680mkii/overview/

First questions is about the new timecode clock... and does the Sync In work as a SMPTE timecode input?

Says nothing about a new TC clock. Where do you get your info from? maybe I missed something..... probably not.

Says nothing about TC at all.

But Hey!........New High Definition Mic Preamps.....WooHoo!

"" Each HDDA mic preamp is built with a differential amplification circuit that employs discrete architecture, and made with parts selected for their audio quality.""

post-1622-0-64692500-1422031435_thumb.jp

Says nothing about a new TC clock. Where do you get your info from? maybe I missed something..... probably not.

Says nothing about TC at all.

But Hey!........New High Definition Mic Preamps.....WooHoo!

"" Each HDDA mic preamp is built with a differential amplification circuit that employs discrete architecture, and made with parts selected for their audio quality.""

on their page it makes reference to the internal clock used for the BWF files.

Improved clock precision The precision of the built-in clock oscillator has been improved – making synchronization more accurate when used with video devices.

take numbers reset was definitely needed. the original was half a step up from the lack of file naming on smaller recorders. made organizing possible, but was clunky enough that one couldn't distinguish takes.  Not to mention, the root folder on the card was  always called "music," which speaks to the 680's target consumers ;]

automatic on/off recording function based on input levels seems like a pleasant addition as well

doesn't seem like they added any official support for power connections to np-1/external batteries and instead opted to "improve" their internal AA efficiency.  For this and other features, my guess is they're still trying to reserve more practical location-intensive features for their Pro film HS series, coupled with the fact the development teams may be different (if i recall correctly from memory).

But am I the only one shocked by this?:

Two recorded takes will be saved: one at the ordinary recording input level and another with a -12dB input level

MIC/LINE INPUTS 1/3/5 are the three input jacks that can be used for dual recording with this unit.

The audio recorded at the ordinary level will use mixer channels 1/3/5 and be recorded to tracks 1/3/5.
The audio recorded at the reduced level will use mixer channels 2/4/6 and be recorded to tracks 1/3/5

"distortion-proof dual recording" is probably the most welcome of the improvements simply because clipping distortion on the 680 was absolutely harsh (though, well within expectation of the product's class).  But if it avoids limiting/clipping, it's a close comparison to Neverclip, albeit without the extra bells and whistles.  No mention of dual a/d as it appears to just source one input?  which explains why you'd lose half your effective individual inputs. though i can't speak to how they technically are doing it (recording at -12dB of whatever you set trim as,which becomes your safety, and using the +12dB as the main track levels?)

The DR line is definitely still an amazing budget tool if it keeps in the same price range as it's former version.  iso tracks alone for me were initially the most appealing for the price but isn't the 680-2 dual recording a big deal?

You need to check yourself.

Since when is a clock TC?

+1

Tascam came out with a new recorder to replace the old DR-680

http://tascam.com/product/dr-680mkii/overview/

First questions is about the new timecode clock... and does the Sync In work as a SMPTE timecode input?

the "sync in" as Tascam calls it in their specs doesnt refer to syncing sound and picture or smpte timecode. It refers to their ability to gang more than one dr-680 unit to one another eg. using one unit as master, another as slave, and controlling both units at the same time using the master buttons.  that's a very, very different function.

Clearing up misunderstandings:

Improved crystal, no timecode. (files are stamped time-of-day)

Headphone knob response also improved (was very steppy)

For budget recorders, every component counts.  In the last few years we've found newer parts that sound better. These were not available when the mkI was first designed.

At this time, I don't know if any of the firmware only upgrades will be made available on the mkI.

• 1 month later...

Tom Duffy,

Is the DR-680mkii on schedule for a March release?

I sent these questions in an email, but I might as well post them here:

Are you able to rename the files/takes via a USB computer connection and still have the files available for playback withiin the DR-680mkii?
Can you rename the folders via USB computer?
How many folders can be created on the DR-680mkii?

What is the DC current draw of the DR-680mkii? (I need to know this for a modification to my BDS system, I currently run a DR-680)

Thank you,

Ricky

The mkIIs are manufactured and on their way to the US.   ditto for Europe.    Customers in Japan already have their units.

As I've mentioned for the mkI, I'm not familiar with the DR680, so whatever info I have is straight from the manual.  I don't expect any change in current consumption between the two versions.

Tom.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stick with one-card-per-day,   reset once for each card, not each folder.

1 card a day is sop, the difference between a number reset everyday compared to not is: missing files are more obvious with the later. if there is no way to get file numbers to match take numbers on slate best just to have a *unique number for every file.

* i know the date prefix means a daily reset will give you unique numbers but unless you only doing 1 scene a day...

is it possible to make the date part of the name be just a serial number, possibly related to the date but not necessarily? eg today is april 16 but it is also day number 106 of the year 2015. doing this would allow user to change day number for every scene and resetting file number would give close to the desired effect.

"is there anything gained with take reset feature?"

- With the previous firmware  the only way to reset the take counter back to zero, also reverted many of the record, track and  many other parameters  back to the factory default as well.  Which I recall was 16/44, stereo files and other parameters usually not used for production audio. AFAIK, the 680mkII's file names are still limited to six characters (not counting the take and track number).  For instance 'R12S23'  (roll 12, scene 23 (or date '150416' ). so the complete file name would appear as R12S23_001_mono1.wav . I would surmise the 6 ch, polyfile mode is still 6+2 tracks as well regardless and disabling tracks is not possible, for instance, if only four were needed.