I was sold a fake MKH-416

harlowsound

Is there a way you could get a hold of a genuine 416 and record an A/B comparison of the two mics? I'm very curious what a counterfeit 416 sounds like.

Carli, I would be happy to if I had a real 416. I believe you would be better going to the source of the fake 416. He is on this forum JboB he left a response yesterday that was removed. I believe he should repost for all to see. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to why some of the posts from yesterday, especially mine, were deleted??  

That is entirely my fault. I was wrestling with what to do about this topic, receiving personal messages from several people (including the two principle people involved on this whole thing), some of the comments were deleted before I locked (closed) the topic altogether. As is plainly clear now, I have opened the topic up again for discussion, but it looks as if it will take the form I was trying to avoid: the people's court being fed by evidence and accusation and we're supposed to be able to determine the truth. Even if we are able to determine the truth, that will not provide any remedy for whatever wrong-doing is discovered. Oh, well, we'll see how it goes.

I say take it off the forum Jeff. If it makes you uncomfortable, and it is your forum FFS, just close it down.

Chaps involved - this is not the place to air this grievance, please take it elsewhere.

I really do hope that you sort it out, but not on JWS, here, now.

Kindest regards to all,

Simon B

I say take it off the forum Jeff. If it makes you uncomfortable, and it is your forum FFS, just close it down.

Chaps involved - this is not the place to air this grievance, please take it elsewhere.

I really do hope that you sort it out, but not on JWS, here, now.

Kindest regards to all,

Simon B

Simon, 

I am a victim here. I would not do anything to jeopardize Jeff or the forum. I received a response because of this forum. This is not intended to air grievance but to serve people like yourself from being victimized. 

That is entirely my fault. I was wrestling with what to do about this topic, receiving personal messages from several people (including the two principle people involved on this whole thing), some of the comments were deleted before I locked (closed) the topic altogether. As is plainly clear now, I have opened the topic up again for discussion, but it looks as if it will take the form I was trying to avoid: the people's court being fed by evidence and accusation and we're supposed to be able to determine the truth. Even if we are able to determine the truth, that will not provide any remedy for whatever wrong-doing is discovered. Oh, well, we'll see how it goes.

No problem Captain. This is your ship, you run it as you like. 

I'm getting the popcorn ready. I'm curious to see how this plays out too. 

Feel free to have Jeff repost what I posted. I said that I purchased a 416 on ebay and sent it back because it didnt sound right, thanks to ebay buyer protection. I dont have a problem refunding anyone who buys used gear from me with a legitimate reason. The mic was purchased from coffey, tested and sounded fine. The problem I have is 17 days after the purchase, the person starts attacking my reputation and insulting them is no way to go out about it. Over wait two weeks for a return? Was that the length of your project? Who's to say harlow sound isnt running a con to swap my mic out for a cheap $300 chinese version and get their money back in the process? I question this and then they go on this crazy rant to get industry support. Im out $700 + a knock-off mic. Its interesting that the person that bashes me remains anonymous while not testing anything... just A/B it with a 416 at your school. Instead, they just start making outrageous claims that I sold a fake mic. I appreciate my friends that contacted me about this and let me know what was happening.

Aside from the sideshow, If someone in our sound community is, has or plans to offload merchandise that is not legitimate, I for one want to know who that person is, so I for one, and others as well do not fall prey.

As for the exchanges between the two parties involved, let them exchange, it's just words... One can either choose to read them or not..

These two people , one who feels they have been wronged, and another for whatever reason either believes they did nothing wrong, has something to hide,  or refuses to do what is right will have to come to some conclusion. This may involve walking away with a lesson learned, getting their funds back, doing what is right or being identified as a pariah. Who knows...

My take is let the thread run... no harm in my opinion... The parties are only two... I think there is a lot to learn here... for all ... about goods that may not be real, how to buy and sell safely, pitfalls of Ebay and sticking to OUR community to conduct sales between mixers. There is a reason Jeff set things up the way he did. I seldom hear of these conflicts relating to sales on this forum. There is a different standard. People do things on Ebay they won't do here, because this is family... 

Leave the thread... A great deal to soak up for the spongy mind...

Feel free to have Jeff repost what I posted. I said that I purchased a 416 on ebay and sent it back because it didnt sound right, thanks to ebay buyer protection. I dont have a problem refunding anyone who buys used gear from me with a legitimate reason. The mic was purchased from coffey, tested and sounded fine. The problem I have is 17 days after the purchase, the person starts attacking my reputation and insulting them is no way to go out about it. Over wait two weeks for a return? Was that the length of your project? Who's to say harlow sound isnt running a con to swap my mic out for a cheap $300 chinese version and get their money back in the process? I question this and then they go on this crazy rant to get industry support. Im out $700 + a knock-off mic. Its interesting that the person that bashes me remains anonymous while not testing anything... just A/B it with a 416 at your school. Instead, they just start making outrageous claims that I sold a fake mic. I appreciate my friends that contacted me about this and let me know what was happening.

Look, I don't care what went down and who said what when... I do know that before I sell some mic, a 416... I will listen to it first... I will KNOW in 5 seconds if it's funky or not...  If it was not funky, your only response should be, THAT MIC WAS PERFECT, SOUNDED JUST THE WAY A 416 SHOULD. THAT should be your only response to a disgruntled buyer saying it's a fake. If  they are unhappy, and believe the mic is not as advertised, and a fake, with the same Serial numbers, let them pay the shipping if need be and have them send it back to you.  I don't give a rats ass about the time frame and rules... Do whats right. You don't need Ebay to tell you what is right to do in this world.  His legitimate reason was he thought it was a fake, and his looking into it confirmed this... What more does he need to tell you. It has the same serial numbers correct.... Send it to LSC... or Trew... Let them decide if both parties can't figure it out... The serial numbers should of been noted during the sale... If it is funky, with those numbers... Game over.

Look,  this buyer is a fellow sound person, a club member, a family member a colleague... Treat them like a friend, not some assh*#@...   

Only You know what you sent him... Regardless of where you got the mic you should of known it was funky as soon as you plugged it in.. failure to test it and send it out untested is on you.. If you bought it and did not notice, I can only say you did not do your job as a seller to make sure your product was as advertised.

Just refund the funds, shake hands and both parties move on... 

There are plenty of mics for sale here, amongst friends, and at MANY of the usual suspects... Buy them in these places to have a much better shot at a seamless and happy transaction.

Something about all this seems fishy.

If it's true he was defrauded, why hasn't the alleged injured party just taken this to small claims court rather than subjecting the forum to such nastiness? Why didn't he thoroughly check the microphone out at the seller's home prior to purchase? If he's "not trying to bash anyone's reputation here" why bring up a business license from seven years ago? What relevance does this have to the current circumstance? Why do the swallows come back to Capistrano?

Lots of unanswered questions.

Never forget, there are two sides to every story.

Totally agree, 

Harlow... The license thing has no relevance in this situation what so ever... He may of forgot to pay the fee... who knows...

You may be better served trying to work it out and stop trying to prove he is evil..  You will get more bees with honey than Vinegar... 

Unless ... you feel you have reached a dead end, and stand no chance of working it out .... if thats the case, and you are only bashing on this forum, you may of made your point... further bashing does nobody any good.. including all of us..

Small claims court is a great and effective method to solve this problem.  But, just because you MAY win does not mean he will pay. You may have to jump through many more hoops to get  your funds reimbursed. It's a long and tedious process.. It may be all you have... but, if you win ... it can work out. 

JboB,

If he sends it in for inspection to LSC or TREW, the same serial numbers, and they determine it is a FAKE, will you reimburse him the funds....? forget testing it at a school... let professionals come to the conclusion. If in fact it is, pay the man his due funds, if not, go on your way.

Pretty easy to spot the fake.

I believe the tip on the fake is flat, while the real 416 is concave.

Hi Angelo,

I had the misfortune of encountering a fake.  The tube was identical - only after the mic started picking up the local radio station did I open up the mic with a friend to see the heinous garbage that was inside it.  There are many ways to spot the fakes and a colleague is working on a blog post(with some small contributions from me) to outline them all for anyone who may have bought one.

Hi All,

Here is an article I contributed to on how to identify the fake 416s.  

Though the majority of users on this site will buy their mics new or from a trusted usual suspect it's still an interesting read and a great reference for checking out any second hand items on ebay or a private sale.

http://www.ps-news.net/2015/01/28/identify-fake-sennheiser-mkh-416/

If John Blankenship and afewmoreyears are bothered by this thread I suggest they stop reading it. There, I just solved those two's problem!

Your welcome.

More trolling from Semi-Literate Anonymous.

AFMY and I are, of course, both welcome to our opinions, as this is a discussion group.

Take note, it should be " you're welcome" -- a contraction -- not "your welcome." Also, no apostrophe after two, otherwise it currently reads " two is." Perhaps more time learning and less time trolling might be in order.