Down hill ice cross sounds

berniebeaudry

I'm sub mixing effects mics for Crashed Ice. 24 Crown PCCs and a collection of stereo and mono shotgun mics on cameras along the course. I had great coverage all down the course and things were sounding great till the PA fired up. Trying to get the skate sounds to stick out in spite of the PA. Urging them to turn down the PA some but I still need to get those skate sounds to pop out. Any ideas? I'm sub grouping all the mics and have them divided along the track. I'm keeping the groups that aren't active down but I have the two zones near the PA that are masked too much by the PA. I'm on a Yamaha M7CLV3.

Bernie

Thanks Greg. Yes, EQ was my only real option. I shaped the high end a little better and took out some more of the low end. The PCCs sounded great without the PA blaring. They did reduce the PA level in my two problem areas but with so many people surrounding the track and pounding the boards as the skaters passed it was tricky. I tried to get more from the camera mics along the track as they had stereo shotguns on them and were a little more isolated. The director and producer were happy and my A1 was good with it too so it worked out. If you watch it let me know what you think.

BB