Mini Solice

I am contemplating the purchase of a mini Solice and I have just read Glen Trew's short appraisal of using it with a couple of SSD 663. Glen was critical of the gain of the input channels and I wondered if any other user has had the same experience. PSC tell me that they have not had any other negative feedback about the gain and say that whilst it could be altered there are no plans to implement such a change.

The only time I personally would see that."limited " gain range as a problem is for line level wireless (like g3s or some older wisycom systems). But those you can always go mic level in mitt making it a problem. Anyway, the dynamic range of every recorder is so great that gain can be added in excess without ruining the recording, IMHO. Disclaimer : I've never used the solice mini, but I doubt Osceola deliver a product that wouldn't suffice in the gain department. Point is : I think you'll be fine and if you won't you can always add gain later. Because nowadays you can without destroying much.

Malcolm,

I love my Solice. Ron's place was just about 4 minutes from my house near Los Angeles, so I stopped in often to look at cool bits of gear as they were being designed and manufactured.

While I can't comment on the gain (your original question), I do know how well engineered PSC equipment is. And as the previous person posted, you can always add a bit more gain on the recorder if needed.

A 664/Solice Mini would be a great little combo, IMO.

Robert

too bad you're not local to me. I'd let you borrow mine for a test drive. I've yet to get the chance to use it since I landed weeks of bag work after buying it, otherwise I'd tell you my experience with it. 

As Robert had said you really can't go wrong getting gear from Ron. He's A+ in my books! 

Michael.

Ron's expertise is not being called into question. I raised the enquiry after reading Glen's report on the mixer. I would welcome your comments after you have used the mixer in anger.

On a different tack was it you who modified a mechanics polypropylene service cart to use as a follow cart?

Michael.

Ron's expertise is not being called into question. I raised the enquiry after reading Glen's report on the mixer. I would welcome your comments after you have used the mixer in anger.

On a different tack was it you who modified a mechanics polypropylene service cart to use as a follow cart?

Oh sorry, I didn't think you were questioning Ron's expertise. Just thought I'd point out that if there is an issue or any tweaking needed I'm sure Ron could help out. Maybe I spoke to soon. Again, sorry. 

No, that was another mixer who had modified a welding cart for a follow cart. I believe he bought it from Northern Tool. I made a custom cart from steel square tubing. =)