T-Power Adapter

echo

Hey Guys,

I was testing some gear out today and when I tried using my MKH-416T I got no signal. I just purchased a new Rode blimp system and the cable that runs from the pistol grip to the mic seems to be the issue.

663 w/ Phantom -> Short XLR -> PSC Adapter -> XLR -> Blimp XLR -> 416T = No Signal

663 w/ Phantom -> Short XLR -> PSC Adapter -> XLR -> 416T = Signal

663 w/ Phantom -> Short XLR -> XLR -> Blimp XLR -> AKG c214 = Signal

So the cable works with my phantom powered mic, just not my t-power mic.

Quite stumped on this. Any help is much appreciated.

Third thought: The 416T has pins 2&3 reversed. Schoeps and Sennheiser had opposite standards for pins 2&3. Some reversed the wiring on their Nagras to accommodate, then some switched the pins in their microphones to match the switched pins of their recorders. The only safe way to use a T-powered mic is to keep a phase reverse adapter nearby.

Fourth thought: The inrush current of the T-powered mic and adapter may be shutting down the 633. This is just speculation but I know that the Schoeps CMC5 microphone body will shut down the phantom supply of some Sound Devices mixers, which I believe includes the 552. Forgive me for not being certain about the model numbers affected, but I am certain it happens with some models, so your 416T and phantom adapter combination may need to be tried with a power supply know to work with that system (Denecke PS-1 comes to mind). And if it doesn't work the first time, plug in a phase reverser.

GT

Fourth thought: The inrush current of the T-powered mic and adapter may be shutting down the 633. This is just speculation but I know that the Schoeps CMC5 microphone body will shut down the phantom supply of some Sound Devices mixers, which I believe includes the 552. Forgive me for not being certain about the model numbers affected, but I am certain it happens with some models, so your 416T and phantom adapter combination may need to be tried with a power supply know to work with that system (Denecke PS-1 comes to mind). And if it doesn't work the first time, plug in a phase reverser.

GT

Hi Glen,

Do you have any more details on the CMC-5 and 552 issues?  I asked the engineers and no one at SD remembers any problem specific to the CMC-5 phantom and the 552.  That said, there certainly could have been issues with individual units, but that was probably specific to a piece of hardware.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Sorry I don't have those details yet. I'll try to do some tests Monday but I'm not sure I have a CMC-5 around. You may not want to ask the obvious question, so I'll go ahead and answer it: All pertinent switches were in the correct positions.

I first became aware of the issue while visiting Columbia College in Chicago. A bright young mixer determined that a Scheops CMC5 would not work with the school's Sound Devices [device], but would work with an external 48V phantom supply, while other 48V mics would work fine with the same Sound Devices device. Other devices of the same model had the same problem.

One reason it sticks in my mind is that I called Sound Devices during the class (one reason being to show how good Sound Devices was with customer service) and put Ed Cap on the spot!

I wish I could remember which device(s) had the issue, but it was either the 442, 552, or 302. Hopefully I'll have the details Monday.

gt