Gear rental China

MarcPDesaulniers

4 hours ago, finnigantodd said:

Hi all.

Just ran acoss this message thread. I know I'm responding many years after ....

May in part be the way its always been done here and change is hard.

Hi Todd, well I was using radio mics twenty odd years ago in HK, so maybe folks have changed 'back' to the good old days of wired mics!

I can imagine RF to be a real bugger though. It was common to record scratch audio and loop everything for narrative.

There's a fairly recent 2017 HK rentals thread elsewhere on the forum, mentioning Salon, Cinerent and some theatrical/music show rental options if anybody's looking: either General Discussion or Current if not Equipment.

Best, Jez

There is a thriving professional screen sound recording industry in Hong Kong these days. Many young guys have trained in local or international film schools and work takes them around the region. Especially those that can communicate in English and a range of Chinese dialects. All use very pro gear but most purchase rather than rent. There is a local SD dealer and a Sennheiser dealer. Most use Sennheiser mics due to the very high humidity in the SE Asian region. Some of the guys are on this forum and I am sure would be willing to help out with gear where necessary. You will see Lectro stuff around but theoretically the regulation in HK prohibits greater than 20 mW transmission for UHF wireless systems. 

Just checked to see it my comment got posted. Happy to see the responses. Thought it might help some of the folks living outside Hong Kong.  Yes exactly. Agree that plenty of others like Shure and Senn, but not much in the way of Lectos in sight. Yes I also agree also that the limitation of... 20 mW is it? Most likely keeps any that exist under the radar screen and out of sight. I'd love to know where to rent one! Anyhow happy if this is of any use, or sparks a productive conversation that turns up useful information and resources!

On 8/7/2017 at 11:10 PM, joinwooHK said:

Oh really , i am local people. Pretty much sound man have professional standard gear ,and in fact many are using wireless boom even 1 man band .

Great!

21 hours ago, geoffstitt said:

There is a thriving professional screen sound recording industry in Hong Kong these days. Many young guys have trained in local or international film schools and work takes them around the region. Especially those that can communicate in English and a range of Chinese dialects. All use very pro gear but most purchase rather than rent. There is a local SD dealer and a Sennheiser dealer. Most use Sennheiser mics due to the very high humidity in the SE Asian region. Some of the guys are on this forum and I am sure would be willing to help out with gear where necessary. You will see Lectro stuff around but theoretically the regulation in HK prohibits greater than 20 mW transmission for UHF wireless systems. 

Yes exactly.