Nagra Stories Sound-men won’t ever tell

JBond

This is another example of slates used. I ran this one for a year on a current affairs program. We travelled extensively worldwide. (A bit like 60 minutes)

This shot was taken somewhere in Los Angeles. Probably 70% of work was interviews, so I never had the Nagra hanging on my shoulder that often

Slate was a bit heavy, however you can see I am not loaded down with radio mics & other stuff, just 10 D cells inside the Nagra 4.2.

I never used it for documentary style shooting.

Don't even remember where I bought it.

Reporters slate - 1982_Rob Stalder.jpg

4 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

This is actually the cart that a lot of soundies used in the '70s, and was available from rental houses.  Pinchy, heavy and awkward, it was why a lot of us started building our own.   I saw sound mixers shooting on the street in Hollywood with these in the '60s as well.

Wheeled-folding-cart-side.jpg

I think it was a company called Skyline that used to sell and rent these pathetic excuse for a sound cart. You are so right, in the early days of independent productions, we pretty much had to build our improvise our own sound carts. 

I thought I saw a post on sound carts but couldn't find it.
Thank you for posting the link.
Very nice Jeff - I'm impressed you get to play in the garage and be creative.  Top notch work, you could've just picked up a can of  Rustoleum, but you either had them powder coated or anodized, nice.
Very nice write-up on your site about carts. 
It looks like everyone customizes their own.  That 70's stock cart which is what I was looking for a picture of is not too impressive.  Since most have customized their own. I think I'll end up making my own custom cart someday to store my Nagra with accessories and try to have it replicate a sound cart.  Historically that vintage Samuelson would probably be more accurate as an early sound cart.
Thank you for the incentive, and thank you, Phillip, for your help also.  

That Samuelson cart would be a worthy addition to your collection, Mr Bond--it was really tailored to the Sela Nagra combo and was kind of elegant looking. There must still be a few around in the UK...worth asking about.

Skyline may have rented those horrible "pinchy carts" (I think they were made by some av equipment company), but they also commissioned 3-G Welding to make the first sort-of-mass-produced upright carts in the Evje mold, way before ASC et al started making theirs.  The PSC upright cart is more or less a heavier duty better made 3-G cart, painted grey.  (3-G carts were unpainted aluminum.)   3-G also made a few custom-carts for customers to-order.  In the 1980s a friend of mine had them build him a one-off extra deep cart (to accommodate a Sony BVH 500 1" VTR), with extra-heavy reinforced collapsible "wing" shelves strong enough to support his terminal gear (WFM and vectorscope etc).  

Thanks for pointing it out about Skyline and the good cart they made --- it was quite popular and was the precursor to the Audio Services/PSC style folding cart (I think Audio Services might have actually made some deal with Skyline but probably not --- just ripped the design and made some improvements). I'm trying to remember the name of the person who actually did the original design --- I think it was someone named Tom Carrol possibly?

14 minutes ago, Jeff Wexler said:

(I think Audio Services might have actually made some deal with Skyline but probably not

It's my understanding that Ron Meyer licensed the design from Skyline. I don't know when in the course of development that happened but I'm pretty sure I recall him saying that he had an agreement.

For those not familiar with the history (and my own knowledge is spotty), Ron used to work for Audio Services Corporation, the company founded by Richard Topham Sr. While employed at ASC, he worked in repairs and also developed products for the company. In 1986 he amicably split from ASC to start Professional Sound Corporation. And, subsequently, Audio Services was dissolved in the course of a legal dispute between the east coast Audio Services (the original ASC started by Richard Topham Sr's brother, Ron) and the independent west coast company. A new company, Location Sound Services, owned by the employees, was formed from the personnel and resources of west coast Audio Services.

David

I used the Skyline folding cart for years. Purchased it from a mixer that had retired and wanted to make space for life :)

It does look almost identical to the PSC carts, except that its top shelf is exactly Nagra sized, and does not extend the actual width of the cart, and the whole thing can fold flat. I really liked how light weight it was, and easy to travel with. I slid it into a cardboard box and shipped it to Missouri for a feature about three years ago, and it was great to have out there. Here are a couple of shots that I took of it when I was looking to sell it. image.jpeg

This shot shows a Nagra IV-L with the 7" reel mod on the top shelf. You can see that the shelf does not go all the way to the right side. Below it is my little 633 bag, that just happened to be sitting there. 

image.jpeg

Here's a shot looking down at it. There is a Denecke TS-2sb in a Versaflex case sitting on top of it for no reason. 

image.jpeg

And here it is from the side. I think that's a Sennheiser mkh-70 in a Rycote blimp on the shelf there. You can see a wire cable attached which held pins that would lock the folding joints into place. 

The only thing I didn't really like about these was that the Nagra sized shelf was a little impractical for today's use, and those front castors made it impossible to go over any sort of terrain. If you pulled the cart from the back, you could go over a cable with a big bump (and likely lose anything not velcroed down), but if you tried pushing this cart castors-first, it'll topple over if it hit something as small as a penny!

I mostly used this cart with an SKB case that sat on the larger of the top shelves, and the Nagra dish served as a Lav station. 

image.jpeg

Here is a shot on a rooftop in downtown Los Angeles from a movie I was working on a few years back. You can see my Boom Operator prepping lavs or something behind the cart, using that little shelf. I'm standing in front, no doubt in heated conversation about wireless frequencies or the like, talking to the playback operator who was feeding Phonaks to a band that was being filmed in the scene, but not actually performing. The cart is more or less just something to hold my SKB case up, and the lower shelves held other goodies. Not that fun to move around in this configuration, but it could be pulled along and negotiate narrow doorways pretty well. Just as long as it didn't need to be lifted :)

That's a nice looking cart Jon; I like the angled Nagra up top That looks great. Maybe the older cart Pillilip posted would be better with the Nagra III mixer and resolver scope thing.  This type cart would go great with my large 7-inch reel 4.2 or IVS-T

How would this cart be complete say in 1985 with the large reel Nagra on top and what equipment on the shelves below?
Did anybody make a cart the same width of the Nagra straight down?  Or is the other equipment that much wider? 
Can anybody list for me the items that would be needed below the Nagra to fill this type of cart?  To be a perfect example of what the soundman would use on any given movie during that time? 
The reason I say list the items by name and model # so I can start to search for them. 
It would be nice to find inexpensive outdated equipment that was used in that period so I can afford to put this together.  In other words, if there was a choice between items still used today and Items used back then but no longer used today If you know what I mean to keep the cost down. 
 A cart like this would work excellent showing my large reel Nagras, but without the equipment, on the shelves below, it would be useless for the purpose I'm looking for.
For the Nagra III what I was talking about earlier I would use the Nagra III items I have.  I don't like the fact that my large reel Nagras are hidden within the shelves of my collection. 

You guys know what I;m looking for right?  The finished project will be a snapshot in time like what they would have if in the Smithsonian.
In showing my collection, Instead of that puzzled stupid look like I'm making up the fact movies were recorded on these little things.  I wheel over the cart and say this is how it looked back in 19whatever,  the soundman would sit with this cart use these headphones and record the sound with these microphones for that favorite movie you love so much.  Bam!!  Now someone understands exactly what was involved and what was needed back in the day when these Nagras were used.  I think that would make a nice addition.
Hey, I never said I was normal a person.

That is more or less exactly my cart, made in the early '80s.  Having new 20" rear wheels (with new positions for the axles to accommodate them) and 5" smart wheels with locks on the front make it way easier to move around--I hated the original small front wheels!!   Yes the recorder shelf is exactly Nagra  sized, like you I ended up making some cutouts on the edge for the Nagra IV-SL's meter.

One of these carts would suit you fine Mr. Bond, keep searching!.   Jon G and mine have had after-market paint jobs--to be authentic you might want to have a painted one "dipped" to take it back to the natural aluminum finish, which is how they all looked back in the day.    Re gear: if the recorder is a 4.2 then a great many jobs did not have much in the way of outboard gear--as I said, maybe just a KAT-15 to turn the 3rd input into a mic input (or the 2nd input on a III).  Mixers that were a bit later than Sela 2880s might include those from Interface Electronics, early Audio Developments, Nagra BM, PSC's knock off of the 4-pot Sela, the (huge) PSC 6F, the HME 4-input mixer, and bespoke and home-made mixers.  Vega 66/77B type wireless, or the Swintek Mk1s, also HME wireless, with some Audio Limited and Microns too.   Headphone monitoring for directors or scripty was done with wired headphones and lotsa cable, if it was done.  No video of any kind.  Only the cops had walkies.

On 7/13/2017 at 4:50 AM, MarkC said:

Can any Sound-men shed light on what this contraption is like to use? I have never seen one before.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nagra-lVL-4-2-lVs-Recorder-Tape-Counter-Sound-Assist/162587364051?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I think this is something similar to something I built for the Arri BL2 in the late 1980s.  It is a digital Footage counter for the Nagra 4 series.

The Nagra 4.2 & 4S only had an optional clockwork type tape counter that replaced one of the guide rollers and was not very accurate.  This device would take the Sync Out signal (60 HZ) that appeared on the Accessory or Sync Connector whenever the machine was rolling.  That signal would clock a digital counter that calculated footage based on the tape speed selected.  It would also advance a second digital counter every time you rolled so you would have a take number and footage readout for logging.

That's my best guess although I have never actually seen one of these.

---Courtney

The limitation in using the pilot signal for driving a "tape counter" circuit is that it is a mono phase signal, i.e. it will describe the speed of the rotation, not the direction. For that, you will need a kind of biphase signal (like the standard biphase signal used for controlling 35mm projectors etc.). So if you just read the pilot signal, it will only work if you don´t rewind. But if you slave you recorder to a film camera, which hopefully never rewinds, it will be accurate...

Does anybody know what this Nagra item was used for? Nagra QDAN  Take Identifier whatever that is.

I saw one before shown below in Nagra's collection, so when I had the chance to buy one I did. I like the fact it has Nixie tubes and it's a Nagra. 

But what was it used for if?

KsUXWvi.jpg

AlJINkz.jpg

Although Sir JBond I can't confirm what your QDAN does. Is that number 3 glowing from a valve? The case looks immaculate, is it an unused piece of vintage equipment?

Congratulations on your rare acquisition!!

If you have time, can you post more of your curious Nagra accessories? 

I am hoping to one day find a tape cleaning blade.

Best

MarkC

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 9.08.28 pm.png

MarkC: I think that the erase head is made of a very hard resin material. I have rarely seen a worn erase head, so they seem to be quite robust...

I have only once seen a recorder with the ruby tape cleaner installed, so it can´t really be that necessary... But a nice little accessory, and who would say no to having a ruby knife?

The QDAN is a take identifier device, so that you can (when you record) assign a take number, and when you play back the tape, the corresponding take number is displayed on the QDAN unit. I have been looking for a manual describing it more in detail, but until now it I have not found anything. I will get back if something comes up. And, as JBond suggests, anything with a nixie tube is by definition great to have.

My IV-S has the QRAC fitted ... I actually thought it was standard with the IV-S all these years. But I notice my IV-SJ doesn't have it, so maybe not. My IV-S also has the head 'shield' (whilst the other doesn't) so perhaps it was common to buy machines with both accessories fitted.

J

To dela and The Immortal Mr Teas, 

Thank you for your responses.

Dela I was not aware that these were constructed from ruby!? 

The Immortal Mr Teas, I hope one day I will too be able to add one to my Nagra Stereo Recorder. Is your IV-S fitted with the middle head?

Peace

Mark

The blade is metal (a dark grey to the alu silver of the mounting) - no ruby on the blade unit. My Nagra however is one of the ruby ones so I'll venture the possibility that the introduction of the blade may have coincided with the ruby guides in the late 70s? Mine is nonTC, but with cue/pilot, and as I said, the head shield.

Since you mention accessories, I've also a David Lane 3rd mic input, which I actually keep with the SJ to give it a 'standard' mic input: I'm forever looking out for another so as to have stereo preamps on the stereo machine. But as you can imagine I'm not using my two Nagras every day!

Jez

To The Immoral Mr Teas,  

My iV-S which happens to have the Harvey Mod, also has the ruby guides. 

I wonder if the screw holes don't require drilling for the QRAC accessory?

Funny you mention David Lane, I recently purchased a twin power supply from the UK.

If you can, could you show us the David Lane 3rd mic input, is it an external module?

Peace

Mark

31 minutes ago, MarkC said:

I wonder if the screw holes don't require drilling for the QRAC accessory?

Afraid I can't do pictures at the moment. The David Lane is a small external box, designed to go into the NR path of the IVS. Working (without modification) as a mic input for the IV-SJ is just a nice quirk of fate. Maybe have a look on the dark Devil's web for a pic?

[Edit- image search 'David Lane 3rd mic input' - I just found several pics]

PLEASE don't drill your Nagra!! The two screw holes probably already exist on your Nagra head assembly plate: just to the left of the erase head, above the moving tape guide, they are there about an inch up - two little holes in horizontal line. I don't know if they existed back in 1971 models but they're there on my SJ. If your IVS doesn't have the screw holes I wouldn't try to fit the blade, but since you have ruby guides I expect they're there.

J

Edited by The Immoral Mr Teas

On 8/16/2017 at 6:05 PM, JBond said:

Does anybody know what this Nagra item was used for? Nagra QDAN  Take Identifier whatever that is.

I saw one before shown below in Nagra's collection, so when I had the chance to buy one I did. I like the fact it has Nixie tubes and it's a Nagra. 

But what was it used for if?

KsUXWvi.jpg

AlJINkz.jpg

James,

I have never seen one of these "QDAN" devices before.  But building and operating transfer systems (transfering 1/4" to 35mm and 16mm Mag) I believe it was a take counter that counted the dropuouts in the 60hz Pilot signal and generated an audio Beep that could be fed into transfer system to record on the Mag Film.

Nagra had a bloop system that could generate a bloop tone on the tape or work silently and just interrupt the pilot signal for a fraction of a second when triggered while recording.. When you are transferring a series of takes on 1/4" they can run one into another (especially on documentaries where there are not slate IDs.) Without bloop tones it is hard to tell when one take ends and the next one starts.  When the transfer person hears the beep from this device he could write on a log the take number from the Nixie Tube readout on the QDAN and write down the footage from the counter on the 35mm Mag transport. The SLO had something like this built in and could drive a solenoid operated Marker Pen to physically mark the 35mm Mag every time it detects the silent bloop signal thereby not disturbing the recording yet marking a visible sync mark on the audio Mag film that could be used to sync up dailies.  the Bloops were either triggered manually while rolling continuously or triggered by the camera's built in bloop light  triggered by sync cable or QRRX radio receiver every time the camera rolled.