Recommendations wanted for new cart

Matt Bacon AMPS

During the last few months I've been designing and developing a new range of carts but I need your help!!

I initially designed them for my personal use (as in Europe we do not have a huge choice of carts like you do in the North America) but have been encouraged by friends to consider making them more widely available.

As a result I have built several demo units which are currently being road tested by fellow production mixers. Following their feedback I hope to launch www.soundcart.tv Summer 2015.

Cart design, their setup and use appear to vary wildly around the world. Before the final production design is nailed down I would be grateful to anyone prepared to list what they like or dislike about their current cart. Size? Weight? etc.

In addition to that what features could you not do without on your cart?

Thank you in advance for all comments, suggestions and ideas. I'd also like to hear if you don't like it! (so I know not to spend any further time/money on it ;))

In the meantime, please visit www.facebook.com/soundcart for further details or email me at matt@soundcart.tv

Blue cart (pre-production model in action)

Production model will include 2x boom holders, handles, cable holders, mounting points and antenna holder as well as optional umbrella holder, cup holder, spigot points, headphone holder, ABS case and racking etc.

Expected launch price £899.99+VAT ($1,375.00) and P&P.

post-1-0-23886600-1422541258_thumb.jpg

Red cart (pre-production model)

Production model will include 3x trays, 2x boom holders, mounting points and antenna holder as well as optional umbrella holder, cup holder, spigot points, headphone holder etc.

The cart is reversible so you can sit and work at it from both sides. Expected launch price £499.99+VAT ($775.00) and P&P.

post-3408-0-04364700-1422528199_thumb.jp

Matt: this is as great topic! As you know, I am a sound cart fanatic with all things relating to sound carts taking up much of attention, second only to doing my job as a sound mixer. I have so much to offer you with answers to your questions but I don't want to dominate this topic (hoping that others will chime in with their likes, dislikes and their specific needs). I will make one initial comment which is that the main Blue Cart (note: I rotated the image so that it is displayed upright) as a product is really a new category of sound cart because it is essentially a PLATFORM cart for what we would call a case-based cart. Carts are now categorized 4 ways: open frame vertical carts. case-based vertical carts (usually a base platform with wheels supporting a case), Mag-liner-style horizontal carts and finally mini-carts/bag carts.

I think what you are building is an outstanding platform with important accessories but it's not the full sound cart --- anyone who buys your Blue Cart will still have to build their own cart, find the proper case, build and install shelves, patch-bay, etc. What you provide with the Blue Cart is the thing that most everybody who has a case-based cart has had to have someone else build for them (someone with metal-working and welding/heli-arc skills, etc.) so this is a good thing.

I'm not so sure anything else is really needed for this platform since it appears that that the engineering, design and construction are well executed and would provide a solid base for anyone wishing to build a case-based cart.

That is high praise chomping from you Jeff. You are correct the BLUE cart indeed allows the mixer to spec their own ABS case (SKB, Gator) and fill it with any collection of gear as they desire. It will be available with or without an ABS case.

I have been using two BLUE carts on BBC food series for the last few months. One uses a 12u deep case - as shown - while the other uses a 8u/3u combination (which is easier to fit in a car!).

The RED cart was conceived as a bag cart which could easily and quickly be broken down to fit in the boot of a car.

It does also have the potential to be more of a light weight 2nd unit cart and fitted out with more of the usual gear (venue receiver etc.). With 20u of space available, it opens up huge possibilities for the mixer to customise it.

I like the idea for the Red cart. Couples of things I would love for it, would be:

1- all shelves and base to fold so that the cart can be flat if needed.

2- a simple cover setup for the dual smart view monitor ( like a tiny SKB case ), that would protect it against the element and shocks.

3- quick release for the wheels.

Tha ks

Every mixer loves a sound cart. I'm glad to see you're using big wheels on the blue cart. I can't tell you how important I find big wheels. In fact I'd suggest 20 in. for the back and larger one for the front wheels. Make it so much easier to go up stairs and curbs, hill & dale, even sand. Looks as if both red and blue are well built Matt. Best of luck with your endeavor .

CrewC

Thanks CrewC. I did try 20" skyway wheels initially but had to reduce them to 16" as they impacted the depth of the cart (it became too big to fit in a European sized estate car). To compensate this they needed to be positioned so far forward that it impacted the tipping point.

I may even reduce it further to 14" as I have some new wheels on order.

I am aware that North American mixers prefer big wheels all the way round. In Europe we have favoured smaller caster wheels in our carts as we generally have smaller vehicles and need to maximise space.

I'll see if I can add it as a option to the BLUE cart.

The thing I always disliked about most lightweight carts was that they are open frame.

Things can fall out or get wet.

Would an optional housing for the Blue cart platform be possible?

Also thinking if a combo of follow cart and mix cart would be feasible.

Basically the follow cart contents being in the lower half, with the mix case sitting on top. One or two standard Rycotes should fit in, transmitters and accessories.

Putting sides on the BLUE cart is entirely possible in its current design and would be an option.

I have been using one of my BLUE carts just as you describe. The lower half I have fitted with several closed drawers (so keep kit dry and secure) containing all my transmitter, microphones etc. and placed the ABS case on top.

The parts have been ordered for our compact follow/utility YELLOW cart design. Photos and descriptions will be available in the coming weeks.

I like the idea for the Red cart. Couples of things I would love for it, would be:

1- all shelves and base to fold so that the cart can be flat if needed.

2- a simple cover setup for the dual smart view monitor ( like a tiny SKB case ), that would protect it against the element and shocks.

3- quick release for the wheels.

Tha ks

In answer to your questions.

1.) all the shelves are easily removed on the RED cart for storage or transport.

2.) blackmagicdesign do not offer a good for their smart duo range. Being set back from the main frame should offer some protection. You could theoretically turn the top shelf upside down and rest a 3u SKB containing the monitors?

3.) I have investigated several quick release options but have not been 100% satisfied with the results so currently employ a high tensile M12 bolt. With the appropriate tools the wheels could be removed if necessary.

20" wheels way better in europe too. Go over more terrain, more choice of tyres, rims, tubes etc. Need to use wheelchair style hubs which allow you to remove wheels in a second - a spare wheel back at base would also mean very quick swap out if you find you tyre flat. If the issue is not having wheels on it when you're sliding it into the car you could use 'in-line'/scooter wheels to assist.

dan.

I'm assuming the video rack is not included in the £499 price point for the Red?

The price point is a bit ouchie, but then these things always seem expensive and I'm sure your maufacturing costs are not cheap.

No the twin HD monitors are not included. I'm surprised (and a little concerned) you feel the price is high though.

With the PSC Eurocart costing around £780 plus VAT and Malcolm Davies carts starting at £900 plus VAT... I felt they were fairly and competitively priced. I will do my best to keep the RRP as low as possible.

If you have any further questions please get in touch.

20" wheels way better in europe too. Go over more terrain, more choice of tyres, rims, tubes etc. Need to use wheelchair style hubs which allow you to remove wheels in a second - a spare wheel back at base would also mean very quick swap out if you find you tyre flat. If the issue is not having wheels on it when you're sliding it into the car you could use 'in-line'/scooter wheels to assist.

dan.

Dan I did look into 20" wheels but they impacted on the design and functionality including storage in a standard estate vehicle.

We are experimenting with various hub designs. As highlighted by James' comment it is a careful balance between functionality, durability and price.

Spare will be available to order with any cart purchase (or later if required). All carts feature skate wheels as part of their design for exactly what you suggested ;)

I think cheap and small is the way to go.

By the time you're out of an estate and into a van, you're likely to go a bit more custom and a lot more expensive.

There's a hole in the market for inexpensive, purpose-built, lightweight carts.

Your pricing seems about right.

On the rack-case cart, I'd move the wheels under the frame to make the cart several inches narrower, also eliminating the other bits off the side. The width of the SKB alone is already as wide as the whole cart should be.

I have grappled with the WIDTH issue on every cart I have built, always striving for the cart being as narrow as possible. My first (vertical) cart has inboard wheels which does in fact affect the space provided on the lower most surface. Other carts I have moved the wheels outboard which does accomplish freeing up space on the bottom but obviously makes the cart wider. The best solution is for the wheels to actually be flush with the outer edge, inset but not totally inboard, but this is absolutely the most difficult in terms of construction. I do not have the fabrication tools or skill to do it that way so I have settled in to having the wheels on a straight axle but inboard.

Jeff I could not have said it better myself. If what I have designed on paper actually works then I may have found a solution to enabling the BLUE cart to allow a variable size of wheel.

So if you want wheels capable of sand and rough terrain on Monday but want smooth thin tyres for the studio Tuesday... watch this space.

Of course, all this R&D however will need to be reflected in the final price (sadly).

Jeff I could not have said it better myself. If what I have designed on paper actually works then I may have found a solution to enabling the BLUE cart to allow a variable size of wheel.

So if you want wheels capable of sand and rough terrain on Monday but want smooth thin tyres for the studio Tuesday... watch this space.

Of course, all this R&D however will need to be reflected in the final price (sadly).

I always had to consider what I was able to fabricate myself. Don Coufal often would make great design suggestions to me while I was building a new cart, suggesting that it would be really great to have this part curve around this other part, beautiful, elegant, functional, but then I would have to explain that I can't do that with my hand drill and a hacksaw.