Favorite Lav to Use

Andrew From Deity

I was reading the post about the Rode Wireless system and it turned into a discussion about what lav you'd use with it and people making the plea to consider this lav over that lav. Really this thread was sparked when someone said he prefered the JK 044 over a Sanken and gave some good reasons. Overall it was becoming a very cool topic and I felt it needed its own thread.

So here is the question:

What is your favorite Lav mic to use? when/how do you use your favorite lav?

I will go first and my favorite is the Philips 9173 Lapel microphone. I use it for recording dialog when I need to tape the microphone under clothing. The Capsule is the smallest on the market under $100 and comes standard with a right angle plug.

97521_l.jpg

Drew, I don't think many people on this forum use $15 lavs like the Philips. For me, it depends on the situation. I tend to use Countryman EMW and B6 along with Sunken COS-11 lavs. Have others, don't own DPAs (might buy a couple this year). 

But I just don't see myself using that Philips mic for my work. For one thing, that plug won't work with any of my transmitters or recorders...

I know that no one in this forum uses a $15 lav. I imaigne I am the only one in the whole forum who does. But compared to trying to hide my ME2's under clothing I like the Philips 9173. Ive never been able to hide a ME2 without it looking like a 3rd nipple. And for me personally, countryman lavs are out of my budget right now.

I'm more interested in hearding what is your favorite lav to use in certain situations and what causes you to make that choice. I saw on another thread someone really just loves using a Omnigoose for car interiors. I guess the question I'm asking to you jeff is when do you reach for the COS-11 vs grabbing your B6? And why?

The Sennheiser ME2 is the mic bundled with G2 and G3 wireless systems, right? Not a popular mic, for good reason....I could believe that your Philips mic is better than the ME2. But that in itself doesn't say much.

I, like most people here, choose lavs for their sound, their ability to be placed and usually hidden on talent, their resistance to water and sweat (important for some of the work I do), their ability to withstand abuse, and their compatibility with my wireless transmitters.

Overall, a good mic can be a cheap way to improve overall production quality. But, and I don't mean anything snide, you could decide that for your work, there's no need for anything more than the mics you use now.

Michael's suggestion to visit a local rental house (or dealer) is a good one. No, not Samy's. Location Sound, Trew, Wilcox, etc.  Don't waste their time, but do get some experience with better mics. 

Plus, playing with gear is fun. 

I know that no one in this forum uses a $15 lav. I imaigne I am the only one in the whole forum who does. But compared to trying to hide my ME2's under clothing I like the Philips 9173. Ive never been able to hide a ME2 without it looking like a 3rd nipple. And for me personally, countryman lavs are out of my budget right now.

I'm more interested in hearding what is your favorite lav to use in certain situations and what causes you to make that choice. I saw on another thread someone really just loves using a Omnigoose for car interiors. I guess the question I'm asking to you jeff is when do you reach for the COS-11 vs grabbing your B6? And why?

You might consider Oscar Techs. Around $100 and sound as good as some of the $200 or more mics.

If you're in LA, you can always rent them. Last I checked, you can get Countryman B6's inexpensively. The Oscar Sound Tech versions of Trams are about $100, give or take, and I would bet they're unbeatable in this price range, plus they're relatively easy to hide. I agree that some of the Sennheisers are more suited to tie mounts and/or on-camera use for interview shows, rather than hiding. Although the Sennheiser MKE 1 (which I have never used) looks very small, roughly the size of the B6.