Rode NTG 4/4+ Anyone tested yet?

enginufuk

Haven't tried them. Can't imagine them sounding better than the NTG3, and not worse than the ntg1 and 2,so it's probably ok. The one thing that made me chuckle a bit is that if you look at the data sheet for the mics, the roll off is pretty funny. It says it's a cut off at 75hz,but looking at the frequency response chart it clearly shows that there's a small decline from around 400 hz and all the way down to 20 (!!!) what's that, like 6dB per octave? Here's a link http://www.rode.com/download/ntg4plus_datasheet.pdf

And also, who would want a rechargeable battery in a mic? That charges with a micro USB cable? And one of the selling arguments is that you can charge it in your car!?

Rode says the NTG4/4+ will ship in February. So I think we need to what a little while for informed and objective evaluations.

And also, who would want a rechargeable battery in a mic? That charges with a micro USB cable? And one of the selling arguments is that you can charge it in your car!?

The DSLR hordes and their fellow travelers who don't always have kit that offers phantom power. I guess.

Haven't tried them. Can't imagine them sounding better than the NTG3, and not worse than the ntg1 and 2,so it's probably ok. The one thing that made me chuckle a bit is that if you look at the data sheet for the mics, the roll off is pretty funny. It says it's a cut off at 75hz,but looking at the frequency response chart it clearly shows that there's a small decline from around 400 hz and all the way down to 20 (!!!) what's that, like 6dB per octave? Here's a link http://www.rode.com/download/ntg4plus_datasheet.pdf

That's what I thought. Why would you want one more thing to charge? And can it be powered by 48v?

RODE still considers these below the NTG3. This is really just RODE continuing down its path of catering to the DSLR crowd. You know, the people who think they don't need double-system recording and camera mounted mic's are the bee's knees. Can't wait to see those guys hear "phantom power" and go run and grab their phone charger.

Features
•  Broadcast sound quality

> Whatever that means, I  constantly hear some pretty awful sound being broadcast.

FWIW, Rode's stated specs and polar pattern appear decent.. and in experienced hands .would likely

sound OK.. but one still usually gets what one pays for.

The targeted market is certainly the DSLR budget crowd.

It seems weird to have the built in battery instead of a double aa. When the charge us depleted on the mic you would have to keep it plugged in to operate it instead of swapping batteries

well, usually i would agree, but at a runtime of 150hours how often would you run out of batteries?

i mean, even if you forget to switch it off it would still be operational after 5 days.

not to mention that with the lithium battery, it's likely easier to step up the voltage to 48V and keep the mic light weight. so while it's probably not the first choice for a multi million feature film, it looks like a nice convenient mic for a lot of people.

chris