duplex on a 442

Brian Maier

Ok so i'm trying to use a PSC duplex cable on a 442 and i'm running into a snag.  Ive programed the 442 to use the A/B toggle as the private line, which is working.  I am receiving the mic signal at the 442.  But when I test the headphones for the boom op you don't hear the mic, only the PL when in use otherwise its silent.  Any thoughts from those more experienced with duplex cables? 

Hi Brian.  I remember running into this problem when I tried this once.  (It was actually when you were booming....ahhhh, the good old days.)  Anyway, you need a two channel mixer, such as a MixPre, at your end to mix program and PL or the boom op must have a Sound Devices MM-1 or similar at their end.  Then they listen to their boom directly and mix your feed into it and send line level boom down the pipe to you.  Nicer for them since they can control level and mix for themselves.  I'm not at home to test it and it's been a long time since I tried it, but I'm pretty sure that there is no way for the 442 to mix the program into that output.

PG

One way I've had success with this is by plugging the boom ops headphones into the 442, and mine into the recorder. Then, I either use the slate mic to talk to the boom. Not really a PL, but it works. A PL version would mean plugging in a mic into one of the 442s mic inputs, and hitting the pfl toggle to talk to the boom pl style...

Landon and I used that set-up a few weeks ago.  I asked him to switch the 442 to monitor for my channel only, and adjust the volume as needed.  He listened through the recorder, a Fostex FR-2, which is probably better for quality control.  Clearly I was hearing whatever the monitor out was from the 442.  He spoke to me with a slate mike. 

A week ago I was booming with an MM-1, which I liked just fine.  I got to make my own volume adjustment.  It was a little weird to occasionally switch the input gain on the MM-1 for the mixer, though, and with our set-up there wasn't a way to have him talk back to me.