COS-11 windscreen

Jack Norflus

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Let's fix a problem that didn't exist, and, in so doing, introduce a problem that wasn't there" school of design.

...Android 5 that replaced 4 anyone? Design changes just for the sake of change, and several things no longer work as well.

...Job security for designers and programmers. Now they're needed to fix the problems that weren't there before they fixed the problems that didn't exist.

Let's fix a problem that didn't exist, and, in so doing, introduce a problem that wasn't there

I have been using COS-11 for the better part of 20 years. In that time I have had no windscreens lost because they have come off on their own. And I have never had a grill rip off.

However in the past 2 month or so I have had 5 windscreens fall off and get lost durring the course of a shoot.

Is there a problem with the new design? I think so.

I have been using COS-11 for the better part of 20 years. In that time I have had no windscreens lost because that have come off on their own. And I have never had a grill rip off.

However in the past 2 month or so I have had 5 windscreens fall off and get lost durring the course of a shoot.

Is there a problem with the new design? I think so.

My point exactly.

How about we all stop buying COS 11 mics until they change the windscreens back to the good ones? That should send them a pretty serious message.

I need to replace about 30 windscreens due to being lost or the ones I stll have are the new crappy ones. Thats a lot of money I'll be out of pocket. Until the new ones come back, I'm definitely not buying the new windscreens at least.

Thanks for starting this thread Jack. I purchased most of my COS-11's years ago and haven't had any concerns about the windscreens coming off with them, but the two purchased within the past year both lost their windscreens within a few months of gentle use. Yes, most certainly a problem with the new design as the screen is very, very loose on the capsule. I need a couple more wires and think I'll wait on any more COS-11's until this gets fixed. It's risky to go without the screen as it's very sensitive to wind noise otherwise.

Having met with the Sanken design engineers in Tokyo any suggestions are

not necessarily listened too!

I asked them why the CS-1 has no bass cut switch - no answer!

I then asked why the CS-3e has a bass cut switch "because it's a boom mike" I was told.

Is then the CS-1 a boom mike - no answer!

Yep!!

mike

I've managed to lose several of the older metal COS11 windscreens over the years, a bummer because they are expensive.  If the new ones come off even more easily than the old then that is a serious bummer, because they are still just as expensive.  Can anyone say when this changeover occurred--how long have the metal versions not been avail.?

I bought three cos-11 a few months ago. All have the new windscreen. The main thing is that you now have plastic scraping against your mic body rather than rubber every time you take the screen off/on. Basically we are getting a cheaper badly engineered alternative for the same money.... not good....

I spoke to Plus 24 about this, and they changed them because the old style of the windscreen removing the mesh cap from the microphones. I've had several customers who have had this issue, so this makes some sense to me They said it has been a little while since the change and they only had the new style windscreens in stock.