Neumann KMR 81 D in use?

Jeremiah Sheets

Done some searches for the digital version of this mic and not finding a lot from actual user experience.
I see quite a bit from users of the 81i, which seems to be fairly positive, but nothing to write home about when compared to other more popular choices. I've used various Neumann microphones in the studio and have had positive experience on all occasions but a couple, but never with the shotgun. I understand some of the benefits and drawbacks of using a microphone with a digital converter specifically built for that system, but would like to hear from users just how much of a real world benefit has been found over the 81i.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new 4017C, but really trying to consider any other options out there, no matter how unpopular.

Anyone here using or have used the 81 D?

Thanks.

I have been using 2x 81D's as my main boom Mics for close on 2 years now. I prefer them to my CMITs and Super CMITS. Digital rocks, no induced hum or buzz. 81ds Rock also. Sound just fab. Try them out first. It's a lot of money!!!

Kindest, sb

• 1 year later...

Bash do you use the DMI-2 interface all the time or are you able to set up the mics the way you want them and then plug in directly to an AES42 input like the one on a Sound Devices 688 (digital gain only)?   Also do you want to share your favorite limiter settings and pre-attenuation settings for dialogue?