Dividers for sideways bag placement

Jeremiah Sheets

A couple weeks ago I was curious about DIY bag dividers that I've seen floating around and wanted to attempt something similar. I am in the process of gathering several wireless units and needed to find a way to carry them elegantly in the bag before pulling that trigger. At the same time, I did not want to alter the original bag.
I came up with a few designs starting with ABS and thermo-forming, but that caused problems. The glue and welds didn't hold up very well, nor did cement. Also the ABS was just too slick and would slide out anytime I needed to remove a wireless unit.

I took a closer look at the bag and this is what I've come up with:

Before:
post-10320-0-02646900-1423101187_thumb.j

After:
post-10320-0-04299900-1423101204_thumb.j

All of the supplies to make this (minus basic tools) cost me less than $10.

1/16" card paper stock was the perfect thickness between stiffness and allowing the wireless clips to grab hold. The blue felt pieces were damn near exact matches for the bag color and would provide more structural strength to the card stock.
Spray adhesive was more than enough to bond the two.

post-10320-0-09125100-1423099814_thumb.j

Measuring and cutting the pieces.
post-10320-0-03066700-1423101220_thumb.j

After making these pieces I would change the way they are cut. Instead I'm certain that a simple bend along the edges in one direction would have made them look much cleaner and would have held perfectly well. Live and learn. Either way, this method works just fine.

post-10320-0-29263600-1423099570_thumb.j

These little Velcro rolls stick insanely well to the felt on the bag. For half of the dividers I only used about half as much Velcro and it is plenty. Simple superglue works great for attaching the loop side of the Velcro to the felt of the divider.
post-10320-0-36683400-1423101230_thumb.j

These dividers took about 30 minutes each. They are plenty tough and the Velcro won't move a hair unless I forcefully pull them out and move them. They look like they are part of the original bag unless you inspect very closely and as far as I can tell, with the absence of a little thin foam and some nice stitch work, the original large bag dividers are made similarly.

Super easy DIY and should work with any clipped piece of hardware. My dimensions only worked for my specific bag. If I get another bag and wish to do the same, I'll need to make new ones. Since I now know that I wouldn't need to cut the ends and fold them away like I did here, they should only take half the time to do again.

post-10320-0-21989800-1423102158_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Again, to make it easier, you don't need to cut and splay each end like I did. I did a test with each end simply bent one direction and it worked perfectly fine. Would have cut crafts time in half, as well. ;)

I've been using some thin ABS plastic for dividers. I'll soon be making some new one for my LTs which also have the clips like your G3s. I like the idea of covering that plastic with the felt like you did with the card stock. I'm trying to figure out a way to face them forward to save space and be able to see the screens. Nice job!

The card stock wrapped in felt is extremely tough and weighs nothing. I've been very successful with these dividers on the last few jobs. Other materials certainly could be used, but this is what I'd recommend.

Of course any method can be improved and I'd love to see other methods people come up with.

• 3 weeks later...

My issues were that they were a little too smooth and receivers would easily slip off when making adjustments. Also the plastic itself would slide around in the bag because my design didn't have Velcro. Also without some sort of felt over the plastic, the units would make noise when I moved around from banging against the dividers. Finally, my design had end pieces that were cemented to the main piece and would easily break.

I'm sure there is a way to make it better than I did, but moving onto the card stock and felt design was the right move for me.

My issues were that they were a little too smooth and receivers would easily slip off when making adjustments. Also the plastic itself would slide around in the bag because my design didn't have Velcro. Also without some sort of felt over the plastic, the units would make noise when I moved around from banging against the dividers. Finally, my design had end pieces that were cemented to the main piece and would easily break.

I'm sure there is a way to make it better than I did, but moving onto the card stock and felt design was the right move for me.

Thanks! I see what you mean.