Np1 in stingray

Graham Kicklighter

Where are you guys sitting your Np-1 in the Ktek bags? I've tried a few different things but don't feel like I've found a permanent spot. Lately just using one of the receiver slots, but the cup on the bottom is hard to get to, and with the cup on top the battery doesn't reach the floor and can work its way out. My BDS box is in the way of having it accessible horizontally, though I guess I should just find another spot for the box...

Don't have a bag but wasn't there some space under the mixer/recorder for that purpose?

There is a space underneath where the receivers go that has a strap to hold an NP-1 battery or Anton Bauer battery. Some people put it in a receiver spot if they aren't using all 4 spots. Some people put it in one of the side pouches. The bottom of the mesh inside pouch actually opens up so you can run your BDS cable from your BDS cup into the bag easily. I've seen some people use the included wireless receiver pouches to wrap the battery and then clip it pretty much anywhere. 

I used to keep my NP1 at the bottom and it worked great except that when I need to change batteries I'd have to remove the bag from the harness and set it down to see what I was doing.
Now I keep it vertical alongside my wireless. Some Velcro on the bottom of the cup and on the side of the battery keep it firmly in place.

Haven't tried it in the field yet, but I'll know more after next week.

You can see the NP1 on the right.
post-10320-0-07214900-1423162210_thumb.j

Although I should add that my Stingray doesn't have the same number of sections, so I don't know if this would work or not.

I keep mine in the front open pouch area... In fact i keep 2 that way I can switch out on the fly. basically pull the cup off dead batt and pop it on the new one.. QUICK!

Not a fan of the designed location for the battery. I really don't like having to open the side flaps up unless I absolutely have to. I was also not a fan of that back pouch on the Petrol bags either, however they were much easier to access when your in a rush. 

Currently my PSC RF Multi SMA lives in the battery spot, but I think I'll be moving that soon as well.

Overall I like the bag a lot! Just a few things here and there that nag at me once in a while.

I think it's easy enough to open the side flap and swap it. I can do it in 5 seconds. The key is to get the tension on the hold down strap just right so it can be pulled in or out easily but still keeps it secure. Also routing your other cables so you have a clear path helps.

My stingray bag is so power efficient that I rarely have to swap at all anyway. Usually I just do it at lunch out of habit not necessity.

I'll also say that I like it buried in the bag and secured so that there's no chance it will get bumped and somehow the cup comes off while recording.. Which has never happened to me.. But I worry about that more than I do having to swap it fast.

That said, having a fast swap arrangement on, say, a 788 bag is more important because that thing, and it's associated 7+ receivers chomps through power much faster.

since my bag is typically always mobile commuting around the city, I've had to leave my inner pockets for safe storage while the outer ones hold my receivers. The risk of having things fall out while being transported is the only reason I opted to do this. So for the battery, I also have kept it in the inner sleeves. I wanted to keep everything solidly where they are except for my tx so those are the only things outside that freely move around.

I've found with the np cup on the top, it's easier to switch. The cup falling off is only an issue if there's nothing supporting beneath. A spare np flat or my mic case is perfect to safely elevate it. And nothing really moves when I'm recording, even if I'm walking so a kickoff isn't any concern.

Side access normally would be great but because the pockets are full of cable accessories and wires at the bottom are routed outside, it's actually a bit clunky to unzip down far enough vs going from top which is unobstructed once I pull out all my stored tx.

I realize there must be a better way to pack the batteries but it takes a little tweaking. Kinda like an nyc apartment, real estate is at a premium.

post-8113-0-90002600-1423516675_thumb.jp