Flight "personal item"

Jeremiah Sheets

My bag is always my "personal item" carry on, even on small delta connection flights. Never a space issue with Nomad + 4srbs + 6 TXs + shotgun + Comtek, etc....

My other carry on is a backpack full of batts and accessories. Never had issues except for trying to carry on a boom pole.

I take at least 8 flights a month - mostly on Delta - and never have a problem with carry on regulations or space.

Cheers,

Evan

I've never had a problem with a Petrol 614 or even the Orca OR32.... Which is bigger than the small Stingray. I also put all my kit batteries (rules require that) in there and wireless transmitters. I basically carry enough in that bag to work in some modified sense in case everything else gets lost.

• 2 weeks later...

I always carry my rig on. I remove antennas, tuck in any loose cables, put the rain cover up and go. TSA often swabs inside a pocket or something and runs it through their machine for testing.  

Never had an issue, rarely they'll want you to pull parts out a bit but once they see how complicated it is they usually back off.

I figure if checked luggage gets lost I can still use lavs and record and get through a basic day of work. Rent a local boom, etc. I also carry on a Pelican 1510 full of other essential gear. Boom pole and personal bag I check.

I've heard of boom poles not being allowed on board and mixers having to go back and check them.

• 3 weeks later...

Another tip is to never fly without your media/production company badge. If your a freelancer, make one up with the network your working for and coat it in a plastic sleeve. Alot of airline policies toward media travelers only apply to those you can present proof of employeement with a broadcast company. I flight twice a week 28weeks a year for my show and these are the things I've discovered.

Airline Policies Toward Media:

Southwest Airlines has a little known policy that allows members of the media to pre-board a flight. You go to the desk at your gate and ask for a pre-board pass for a member of the media. They will give you a bright red or yellow piece of paper. This means when they ask for members of the military to board, you can walk on with them.

United Airlines will let Media bags weigh up to 99lbs. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/mediabags.aspx

American Airlines has the same policy but limites you to 25 pelicans on American Eagle and 40 pelicans on a full sized American Airlines jet.

Survived my flight, on round trip home. Or-30 packed to gills with all major gear, traveler boom pole and all batts inside a duffle bag. Small bkpk w laptop, boom mic and wireless link under seat in front. Only issue i ran into was half drank water bottle in bag i forgot about. They swabbed, trashed water bottle and i was on my way. No issues with short boom pole though i was prepared to say "camera tripod" as recommended by others.

-Ken