IDX NP1 Battery Refurb.?

mpsanos

Hi Mike,

I'm not trying to bash anyone's ability to refurbish battery packs but there are several safety concerns with this type of service. 

1. Reusing aged/worn out protection circuitry-  This is a safety concern because the circuitry may not  perform as intended or become damaged during the dismantling and installation process.

2. Aged/worn out battery terminals- Extensive usage of the battery will eventually wear down/damage the battery contacts. This can create an intermittent connection between the battery and your equipment. Intermittent connections can cause heat and ultimately melt the battery or the equipment its powering. 

3. Housing cosmetics and traveling - It is against IATA regulations to air travel with li-ion batteries that are damaged or appear damaged. Your batteries could be confiscated or you could be fined. 

It's like updating your old automobile's gas tank without replacing the breaks, transmission, engine, alternator, etc. It's just not safe or recommended. 

In addition to the safety issues, you don't get the 2 year warranty that is accompanied with a new IDX battery.  ;D

Let me know if you have questions. 

Thanks! 

-Zack

Hi Mike,

I'm not trying to bash anyone's ability to refurbish battery packs but there are several safety concerns with this type of service. 

1. Reusing aged/worn out protection circuitry-  This is a safety concern because the circuitry may not  perform as intended or become damaged during the dismantling and installation process.

2. Aged/worn out battery terminals- Extensive usage of the battery will eventually wear down/damage the battery contacts. This can create an intermittent connection between the battery and your equipment. Intermittent connections can cause heat and ultimately melt the battery or the equipment its powering. 

3. Housing cosmetics and traveling - It is against IATA regulations to air travel with li-ion batteries that are damaged or appear damaged. Your batteries could be confiscated or you could be fined. 

It's like updating your old automobile's gas tank without replacing the breaks, transmission, engine, alternator, etc. It's just not safe or recommended. 

In addition to the safety issues, you don't get the 2 year warranty that is accompanied with a new IDX battery.  ;D

Let me know if you have questions. 

Thanks! 

-Zack

While I appreciate IDX being here John Ritter does excellent work and many camera men I know have used his services for years and his work is top notch and the batteries look fine after he puts them back together 

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking on the web for Ritter's services and stumbled upon rathboneenergy.com.

After inquiring, I received an ominous response similar to that from Zack from Mr. Rathbone... seems

the issue is related to contact tab wear, cold-weld technology and component aging. Read it here:

http://www.txsound.com/blog/23-year-battery-technology-veteran-warns-re-celling-li-ion

A cameraman friend gets all his Anton Bauer batteries recelled by John Ritter, he has 30 or 40 batteries, John always does a very good job, and gets all my friends repeat business.

Sorry Zack at IDX but John does a good job.

No need to be sorry. I dont doubt Mr. Ritters ability to do good work. I am just coming from a compliance and safety standpoint. 

• 1 month later...