Modern methods for transcript timecode MP3s

osa

Hi all, I know there is a lot of discussion in previous posts about this subject but I haven't seen much discussion in my searches on this particular topic. I use my sound devices 6 series for timecode mp3 transcript files and it's a great feature how it puts all the details and the timecode stamp information in the metadata. To the best of my knowledge, there is no other recorder out there that does this as a standalone hardware based MP3 recorder, but someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

For those of you using 788's or various other recorders that don't have this MP3 recording feature, how do you create your MP3s for transcript? Do you use a laptop and plug the metadata information in manually? Do you use a particular laptop-based software solution? Or is there some other method you might be willing to share? My inquiring mind wants to know! there are certainly people still recording linear timecode on one track, and transcript houses are certainly still accept them. But in this modern time it seems that producers much prefer having a file they can listen to on the plane without the soothing sounds of timecode jazz.

-Ken

I still get a few requests for audible tc for transcription - but not often.

A majority of the time is a is a tc stamp. I will usually convert my wav file.

And if it's a poly wav of more than two tracks how do you strip out two or one relevant track(s) (Q&A's) for conversion?

Then use which software to make a (ID3 tag) timecode stamped MP3?

I use Wave Agent and BWF Widget which is rather cumbersome across two operating systems, just wondering if anything else has emerged capable of all this in one hit?

Now if Wave Agent could create timecode stamped MP3's from one or two selected tracks of a poly wave file wouldn't that be wonderful :)?

I have often wondered how I'd do it on a 788. On jobs where TC MP3 is requested, I use my 552 and set its recorder to handle the TC on an MP3. I would love to use stamped, but the networks still like audible. Transcription Associates told me , like in 2011 that they can handle stamped or audible either way. It seems more reliable on a wav file because of BWF, so like if you were syncing TC for editing. on an MP3 there is no BWF and it goes in ID3 tag. It doesn't seem to hinder TA. 

If I had to do it with my 788, that wonderful beast, I think I'd have to resort to my old school method of feeding a little H1 soon recorder with my special pigtail that takes in TC and also sums the mix from Tape Out (or 5,6 on 788). Crazy right. 

And I agree there needs to be an easier method to crunch it through in a software program like Wave Agent. Every time I try to convert a file in Audition or something, I destroy the time code. I'd love to know a method for mixing down to an MP3 and preserving the TC. 

The Nomad can also create stamped mp3 files. That's how I've done it in the past. It would be nice if there was an easy software solution to batch convert bwav.

Batch convert now you're talking, yes very nice....

Is it worth me learning programming from scratch for it, probably not :(

I record with a 744 and use a Zax IFB 200 for a backup/transcription recorder.  It does require a computer to convert to mp3 before handing it off to production but that's pretty fast.  I also use the IFB 200 to feed TC and scratch audio to cameras killing three birds with one device. 

• 2 weeks later...

And if it's a poly wav of more than two tracks how do you strip out two or one relevant track(s) (Q&A's) for conversion?

Then use which software to make a (ID3 tag) timecode stamped MP3?

If you have a 788 you could its track-to-media routing option and record a mix to the CF card only, while recording the mix and isos to the internal drive. You could record its own TC output via an input and route that to the cf, too.

You'd still need to convert to Mp3 afterwards, but at least the splitting of files is no longer neccessary.