Worst double feature possible

Chris Woodcock

Loved both.

Drums in "Birdman" were supposed to affect the mood. Sometimes rhythmic and nice, sometimes annoying and invasive. A great storytelling technique.

I can see how watching them back to back would be a bit too much drumming. If you watched "Birdman" first, it might ruin the "Whiplash" experience.

Interesting interview from Miles Teller back in October:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/08/miles-teller-whiplash_n_5947824.html

The part I found crazy was this:

You're a drummer yourself, so how much of the drumming we see is actually you?

We had a double at first, but he ended up just sitting around a lot of the time. Pretty much everything you see in the film is me. Even what you hear. A lot of what you’re hearing is just what I was drumming on set back then. There was some stuff that we had pre-recordings of and some where we kind of sweetened some of the sound. We didn’t have the best microphones on the set, but they sweetened it in post-production. Pretty much everything you see is me.

I don't think I've ever seen an actor talk negatively about sound before, especially the choice of mics.  Obviously, the end results are award-winning, so many people disagree with him.  I'm just not sure what he had to gain by that statement.

He seemed to be specifically talking about miking the drum kit in which case it often entails a combination of mics, each appropriate for the part of the kit they're capturing. e.g. cardioid condensers for stereo overheads, dynamics to handle the high SPL transients of snare and toms, large capsule dynamic to capture the heft of the kick, etc.

They may have gone more for the natural liveness on set, whereas in post they opted to "tighten up" the sound some.

Totally speculating here, as I haven't seen the film yet.

Birdman is an actor's self indulgent movie and a hard job for the soundman.The movie was OK ,but it has a little too much yappity-yap.

J.D.