Breakaway Cable Question

Mack

I want to build my own Breakaway cable and have been totally inspired by the cable Engin Kaplan built:  

The only difference is that I am not going to build mine with TC as I am worried about noise down the line.   I am also going to use Remote Audio CA3PS26 cable instead of Mogami.   My questions are as follows:

1.  Do the Remote Audio extension cables use the same connector on both ends so that it doesn't matter which end you grab?    If so, are they male or female?  (I am going to use the Neutricon 8 pin)

2.  What size tech flex do I need to tech flex each inner 3 pair?

3.  I seem to notice that most breakouts are about 1.5', even at the bag end.  Does this sound about right? 

Thanks

Mack, on 16 Feb 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

I want to build my own Breakaway cable and have been totally inspired by the cable Engin Kaplan built:  

The only difference is that I am not going to build mine with TC as I am worried about noise down the line.   I am also going to use Remote Audio CA3PS26 cable instead of Mogami.   My questions are as follows:

1.  Do the Remote Audio extension cables use the same connector on both ends so that it doesn't matter which end you grab?    If so, are they male or female?  (I am going to use the Neutricon 8 pin)

2.  What size tech flex do I need to tech flex each inner 3 pair?

3.  I seem to notice that most breakouts are about 1.5', even at the bag end.  Does this sound about right? 

Thanks

There s no need to tech flex each pair. If this going to be your first venture with Neutricon connectors then you should attach the pins to the cable ends before putting the pins in the carriers as they lock in place and can't be removed  in case of a wiring error. For the locking male end of the cable you'll want Neutricon part # OSC8M $10 @ Markertek.com. For the female end you'll need an assortment of parts. MC8 for the housing, SR8 for the cable clamp & locking collar, F18 for the female pin carrier & BS1 for the female pins. Everything available from Markertek.   

I'm looking for an update for my multi and I want to built one myself with neutricon 8. I'd like it to be futureproof, so it would be nice if I can send two analog channels or 2 pairs of AES. What would be the best cable that fits this needs?

It should be flexible (also in the cold) and rather thin. It would be nice if it's a star-quad multicore...

I'm looking for an update for my multi and I want to built one myself with neutricon 8. I'd like it to be futureproof, so it would be nice if I can send two analog channels or 2 pairs of AES. What would be the best cable that fits this needs?

It should be flexible (also in the cold) and rather thin. It would be nice if it's a star-quad multicore..

Wiring any type of quad cable with two conductors per pin in a Neutricon 8 is just about impossible. Single conductor per pin is the way to go. Do you want a return channel to monitor the signal from the recorder? If so you'll need at least 3 core, more likely 4 core is more available. Look at Mogami or Canare multi core cable.

Ok thanks Eric!

What would be the most flexible option for an AES 3-core? (I have found the canare DA202F-4P, any experience?)

Multicore cable are even numbered, 2 core, 4 core, etc. The only 3 core cable I know of comes from Trewaudio and I'm sure that's a custom cable made just for them but it's not AES cable, just plain old analog audio cable.

Using standard shielded-pair audio cable made for analog signals should be fine for AES signals with the short distance of a standard ENG "break-a-way" cable, which is about 20-feet.

Here is an excerpt from what I believe is the official AES position on the topic:

"Standard balanced analog audio cable is widespread since a long time. One may come across very different types with impedanc- es ranging from 40 Ohm to 110 Ohm, most of the older ones with impedances below 70 Ohm. So frequently one will encounter balanced cables not matching the 110 Ohm specification for digital audio cable. Nevertheless it may be possible to transmit digital audio via up to 80m [about 250 feet] of those mismatched cables without cable equalization."

This also reflects my experience when using short-ish runs of analog audio cable for digital signals.

Glen Trew