Portable speakers with bracket suggestions please!

franky03

Hi all,

I have this director who dislikes to wear headphones.

He also dislikes the sound of the small1 watt speakers found on most video monitors.

Trying to find a solution for him...

There are lots of portable speakers out there...  anyway to put the speaker firmly on the video monitor?

Any suggestions would me most welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

Franky

There's a remote audio speakeasy that's rackmount able - the R1, I think. It takes 12v so if your connecting to a video cart that already runs off of camera batteries, you might be able to easily add it.

The other speaker that I think sounds really good is the jawbone jam box. The larger one. If you run it with the mini plug input, you shouldn't have to worry about unwanted people connecting via Bluetooth.

Thanks for all the feedback guys... very much appreciated :)

We usually have video assist, Im not handling video playback.

The problem is that the director doesn't like to wear headphones and doesn't like the sound of the small speakers found on the video monitors, usually something like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891005-REG/Panasonic_bt_lh2170pj_21_5_LCD_Studio_Monitor.html

Its on a stand and I cant really attach anything to it.

Im just trying to improve the quality of the sound for playback.

I found multiple portable speakers, but its more the rigging thats giving me a headache.

Thank you Nick for the suggestion of the UE Boom or similar speaker that has a carabiner.

Will investigate that solution!

Franky

Thanks for all the feedback guys... very much appreciated :)

We usually have video assist, Im not handling video playback.

The problem is that the director doesn't like to wear headphones and doesn't like the sound of the small speakers found on the video monitors, usually something like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891005-REG/Panasonic_bt_lh2170pj_21_5_LCD_Studio_Monitor.html

Its on a stand and I cant really attach anything to it.

Im just trying to improve the quality of the sound for playback.

I found multiple portable speakers, but its more the rigging thats giving me a headache.

Thank you Nick for the suggestion of the UE Boom or similar speaker that has a carabiner.

Will investigate that solution!

Franky

On the UE Boom, the ring for the carabiner is attached with a threaded screw, leaving a female threaded hole in the bottom of the speaker, if you wanted to get real crafty you could put a similar sized bolt through the playback cart somewhere and thread that on top. 

post-6888-0-62825300-1424273244_thumb.jp

Franky, the OP, clarified that the speaker was for use when playing back scenes, not during the original record.

I expect that playback occurs in a somewhat different environment. The director may wish to interact with his production team and point out issues that might be problematic:

"Do you think her hair is a little too perfect for someone just coming out of a struggle?"

That kind of thing. Comfortable interaction is much easier with speaker playback than when everyone is wearing headphones.

Of course, he/she would be a jerk to expect perfect tonal quality in a portable device that can be clipped to a monitor. But I don't get the sense that's the case here.

David

Thanks to all who have added their 0.02$ :)

You are right David, its usually playbacks that involve many departments and the actors too.

I might also add that the director used to also be a drummer, he surely has some hearing damage(!)

Have a nice weekend jw

Franky