Wiring COS-11D for Interchangeable Connectors

sarcanon

My apologies if this is a silly question or has been asked and answered before. I made a cursory search of the archives and did not find anything on-topic.

I currently own a pair of Sanken COS-11D mics, wired with locking 1/8-inch mini plugs for Sennheiser G3 wireless packs. I will soon be adding a pair of new packs to my kit and am looking at at an Lectronics L-series combo. That acquisition will exhaust my equipment budget for a few months. Consequently, I would rather not have to buy new COS-11Ds simply because of the change in connector type (from 1/8-inch to TA5F). I intend to keep my G3s, and ideally, would like to have the flexibility be able to use the COS-11Ds with either wireless pack set.

So, my question is, is it possible (or even advisable) to insert an in-line break-away connection of some sort at the Tx end of mic cable, that would allow the ability to swap out a different connector, depending on which wireless pack I want to use? It seems rather silly that Sanken does not offer this sort of functionality as an option, rather than just offering hard-wired SKUs for each connector type. (I know there is a bare pig-tail version, but this assumes the owner will attach a hard-wired connector).

What sort of break away connector would be appropriate? Switchcraft have a series of inline jacks and compatible locking plugs. http://www.switchcraft.com/Category.aspx?Parent=990. Would these be suitable?

Are there any drawbacks to this solution that I should consider?

Many thanks in advance.

- Scott

Rewire the mics for Lectro with TA5 connectors, then use short TA5M to Sennheiser adapter cables. You only need to carry one set of adapters and the inline connectors are locking. Whoever does the deed for you can use your existing cables and just cut the cables about 6" from the end and add the appropriate TA5 connectors inline.

<<It seems rather silly >>

not really. DPA offers this with all its lavaliers. however, i did not find this adapter setup working well, on a film set. maybe within the confines of a broadway stage it might work out well. 

my advice to you is to get two more mics, pigtail to avoid the higher initial price, and get the connectors wired through a local sound shop or doityourself. :)

• 3 years later...

Is there a way to connect a servo wired for lectro COS-11 (don't believe it's COS-11D) to a Sennheiser G3? It seems that a regular TA5 to 3.5mm adapter cable won't work for this application. Other threads I researched weren't clear to me. Thanks in advance.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:28 PM, jondom22 said:

Is there a way to connect a servo wired for lectro COS-11 (don't believe it's COS-11D) to a Sennheiser G3? It seems that a regular TA5 to 3.5mm adapter cable won't work for this application. Other threads I researched weren't clear to me. Thanks in advance.

It's all in knowing the correct wiring. For replacing the TA5 with a 3.5mm TRS. The shield & the white wire of the COS-11 get connected together at the ground on the 3.5mm, the black wire goes to the tip of the 3.5 mm. For an adapter that allows you to use the Lectro wired lav with a Sennheiser tx you'll need a TA 5 MALE connector wired as follows. Jump pins 2 & 4, Pin 1 is ground, Pin 3 is audio. Connect Pin 1 to the sleeve/ground of the 3.5mm TRS and Pin 3 to the Tip.   

• 5 months later...

Move the COS-11D's to the lectros and pick up some OSTs for the G3's. IMO Too many lavs is never a bad thing. 

4 minutes ago, AlexQ said:

Move the COS-11D's to the lectros and pick up some OSTs for the G3's. IMO Too many lavs is never a bad thing. 

Oh wow, did realize I was digging up an old post.... Not enough action on the forums.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2018 at 10:07 PM, Eric Toline said:

For an adapter that allows you to use the Lectro wired lav with a Sennheiser tx you'll need a TA 5 MALE connector wired as follows. Jump pins 2 & 4, Pin 1 is ground, Pin 3 is audio. Connect Pin 1 to the sleeve/ground of the 3.5mm TRS and Pin 3 to the Tip.   

is this also effective for um400 tx? (not um400 A)