KTek Stingray KSRA2 vs Orca Or41 or other

vins

Hi, I am looking for a new bag for my Nomad, FP8, RX12. I currently have a petrol ps614 but have out grown it with the RX12 addition. I like the look of both of these bags, with some nice design features on both. There is no local Orca retailer here so I can't have a look or fitting with one. Just wondering what bags people are using with this combo and especially if someone has just weighed up one versus the other. Generally it will be used as a bag cart type rig for drama with the ability to go over the shoulder when required.

Cheers

It really depends (now I'm sounding like the Senator :D). Both bags follow slightly different design philosophies, many similarities, and are made with top notch craftsmanship. It really will come down to a personal preference based on your needs. OR-41 was designed for Nomad users, and while KSRA2 was made for the 664, some users have made some great Nomad bags with it.

Here's a picture of my OR-41 bag:

post-8621-14250506317653.jpg

Agree with Josefrias, I've just got the 41 and it's great but I'm having to be very disciplined about how I fit everything in which is very good for me, but it's a tight squeeze with a tiny bit of overflow.

There's been some small improvements to the Orca 41 like the side loops re-located onto the frame instead of the side flaps (though the Josefrias pic doesn't appear to show him benefiting from this?), and quad zips to facilitate cable exits, through larger re-designed side exits.

I'm not using the partition and have found another way to secure the Nomad, and I'm not using the drop down support brackets for the Nomad, I'm using support buffers underneath.

It's great using a frame based bag where all four sides fold down completely if required.

I've got a Stingray for my 633 and that's great too, but though frame based all the sides don't fold down completely.

There's been some small improvements to the Orca 41 like the side loops re-located onto the frame instead of the side flaps (thought the Josefrias pic doesn't appear to show him benefiting from this?), and quad zips to facilitate cable exits, through larger re-designed side exits.

Mine is a beta version of the OR-41. One of my biggest feedbacks (along with many other users I guess) was to move the TPU covered loops to the honeycomb frame for many reasons. I'm glad that they adopted this for the retail version.

Mine is a beta version of the OR-41. One of my biggest feedbacks (along with many other users I guess) was to move the TPU covered loops to the honeycomb frame for many reasons. I'm glad that they adopted this for the retail version.

Thanks for that, I've benefited from your pioneering...:)

Here is a photo I took of the RX12, Nomad, and FP8 in a KSRA2. I didn't rig out the whole bag with everything else you'd need because I wanted to see how this all worked, and it fits very nicely! I found the extra room very handy if I need to get to the Zaxnet antenna and for running the output cables of the RX12 to either the analog inputs or digital inputs. I put the RX12 at the "bottom" of the bag (the compartment next to the body) since one of the main design features of the KSRA2 is about getting the weight of your gear as close to your body as possible (thus the side pockets instead of a big pocket in the front). The RX12 is just over 6 pounds, so I put it as close to the body as possible, which creates less stress on your lower back, plus when the bag is used on a cart the heaviest thing is on the bottom, and I've always just liked that out of personal preference. Of course, you can configure the three items however you like. I would imagine some people would run the RX12 on top of the FP8 and Nomad just out of habit of putting the receivers on top of the recorder, but running remote antennas is easy (as I've seen people send me pictures of all different kinds of set ups with with remote antennas in their bags), so having the RX12 against your body isn't a concern in terms of reception if you do that. post-321-0-03778800-1425057798_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here is a photo I took of the RX12, Nomad, and FP8 in a KSRA2. I didn't rig out the whole bag with everything else you'd need because I wanted to see how this all worked, and it fits very nicely! I found the extra room very handy if I need to get to the Zaxnet antenna and for running the output cables of the RX12 to either the analog inputs or digital inputs. I put the RX12 at the "bottom" of the bag (the compartment next to the body) since one of the main design features of the KSRA2 is about getting the weight of your gear as close to your body as possible (thus the side pockets instead of a big pocket in the front). The RX12 is just over 6 pounds, so I put it as close to the body as possible, which creates less stress on your lower back, plus when the bag is used on a cart the heaviest thing is on the bottom, and I've always just liked that out of personal preference. Of course, you can configure the three items however you like. I would imagine some people would run the RX12 on top of the FP8 and Nomad just out of habit of putting the receivers on top of the recorder, but running remote antennas is easy (as I've seen people send me pictures of all different kinds of set ups with with remote antennas in their bags), so having the RX12 against your body isn't a concern in terms of reception if you do that. attachicon.gifNomad_FP8_RX12_KSRA2.jpg

Dave, any idea what that bag weighs as it appears? Just curious

There's a new "nomad sized" (and 788T?) Stingray that Dave had the beta of at NAB. I also think the other ones are maybe being tweaked a little, at least in colors (and names). I really only paid attention to the Nomad one I got to put my paws on. As for weight of that, it's probably best to hold that till the final product is done. If you are comparing it to an Orca, it seems they are in the same ballpark.   If you are intrigued by one, i would do yourself the favor or checking them both out. They are approaching the same problem a bit differently, so one will probably have a feature or two that will mean more to you. 

We quietly showed the Nomad bag prototype at NAB to much praise. It is going into production now. We've addressed issues people currently have with existing products, and we have more bag accessory things coming to make bag mixing easier for bag mixers. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am also very interested in the OR-41, but for my 788t/CL8. Does anyone have experience with the 788t in the OR-41? I've heard it should fit nicely, however I'm concerned about access to the headphone and menu knobs.

I want a nice, compact solution, so I'm in two minds as to the suitability of the OR-41 compared to the OR-32.

I am also very interested in the OR-41, but for my 788t/CL8. Does anyone have experience with the 788t in the OR-41? I've heard it should fit nicely, however I'm concerned about access to the headphone and menu knobs.

I want a nice, compact solution, so I'm in two minds as to the suitability of the OR-41 compared to the OR-32.

Our upcoming medium Stingray that works with the Nomad will also work quite nicely with the 788T, and our internal frame is done in such a way that there aren't any issues of it getting in the way of any media slots, I/O, or any thing, really. You have complete access to everything on your recorder. 

I know a few 788t owners who are using the OR-41 and like it  a lot. It is indeed quite a nice fit, as both the 788 and the Nomad have very similar dimensions. Re: your concern about access to headphone and menu knobs, there will still be space on the sides between the frame and the 788, so you should have not problems accessing the knobs.

K-Tek's Stingray bag for the Nomad will probably fit it nicely as well, for the same reasons.