Yamaha Insert Points as Direct Outs

Patrick Wylie

I'm building up a cart rig for an upcoming feature, which utilizes the Yamaha OV196 as the board and the 664 as the recorder. I'm planning on building a custom cable that seeks to utilize the Insert point on each channel as a direct out.

I wanted to check with you guys to see if anybody has had any experience with this or advice for doing it.

The current cable I plan on building is a DIRECT OUT interface cable between the Yamaha and the 664:

(12) Right Angle M-TRS 1/4" to (6) M-XLR and (6) TA-3F

As per the manual of the OV196, the inserts are wired with the send to the tip and the return to the ring. I'm thinking I could just float the tip to the ring on the 1/4", which in theory would send the audio to my recorder and also route the input back into the mixer.

The output level ranges from  -2dBu (min gain) to +18dBu (max gain). So, it should have enough to drive the TA-3F Line ins on the 664. 

I'm open to any ideas, advice, or techniques that you guys have to share. Thanks!!

BTW This is my first JW post. So, there goes my cherry...

There are a lot of ways to route out of that board.  A popular way is to buy a card for the card slot on the back.  Then buy a pre-made Hosa cable and modify the XLR ends to your needs.  This will make your mixer less cluttered and cables will be more managable.

My issue with that is that there is no analog card for that board that has 16 outs. They do on the digital cards. Plus, I believe that the 664 only takes 4 digital ins on 1,2, 5, & 6. So, those digital cards don't help me.

The reason for building this is to open the 8 eight analog outs from my current card to feed coms, IFBs, camera, and playback. Then, I can use this cable to get me 12 direct outs to feed to all the inputs of the 664. My max channel count on this show would probably be 10, but having two extra wouldn't hurt. 

Absolutely works - I do exactly that with my 01v96 driving the 8 analog line ins on a Sound Devices 970 recorder. 01v96 end is TRS connectors wired with Tip and Sleeve bridged. Recorder end is XLR-Ms wired unbalanced, with pin 1 and 3 tied. The card slot has a Dante card in it, so unavailable for line level direct outs. The load of the SD recorder's inputs drops the level the 01v96's AD convertors see by a touch over 1dB - so really not an issue. Keep the multicore as short as possible as it's unbalanced, but at line level that's not likely to be a problem. Not sure about the Right-angle TRS's you mention - they are likely to get in the way of the channel input XLRs unless they face forward, which will be messy and annoying.

Absolutely works - I do exactly that with my 01v96 driving the 8 analog line ins on a Sound Devices 970 recorder. 01v96 end is TRS connectors wired with Tip and Sleeve bridged. Recorder end is XLR-Ms wired unbalanced, with pin 1 and 3 tied. The card slot has a Dante card in it, so unavailable for line level direct outs. The load of the SD recorder's inputs drops the level the 01v96's AD convertors see by a touch over 1dB - so really not an issue. Keep the multicore as short as possible as it's unbalanced, but at line level that's not likely to be a problem. Not sure about the Right-angle TRS's you mention - they are likely to get in the way of the channel input XLRs unless they face forward, which will be messy and annoying.

Nick, thanks for the info brother. I had planned on using right angles because how the board is currently placed on the cart. it doesn't have the clearance for a straight connector. 

Craig, appreciate the advice on the short runs and the link you sent me. The run will be tops 4.5', so I think I'm more than okay.