Corrupt files on SD 664

millar

Hey everyone, I was hoping to see if anyone else was having the problem that I am having. I am recording multiple mono on my 664 with between 5 and 8 tracks usually. 48k, 16 bit, 29.97 drop. Three times now I have gotten a note form post that they had a corrupt file. What happens is they will get one file from one take that wont open in Avid or Quicktime (eg track 3 from take 1 where the other tracks from that take are all fine) and is basically not importable by the editor. The file shows up as being 0.0mb on the desktop of my Mac (even though in reality it is a 50 mb file) and it opens/plays fine when I use something like VLC player. The weird thing is I am using approved media and it only happens on the SD card (CF has been fine everytime). Before I get pounced on by The Senator, I did contact Sound Devices and am waiting to hear back but in the mean time I thought someone may have come across this.  Thanks

Millar Montgomery

Vancouver, BC

Hey guys, thanks for getting back to me.

Firmware: the problem persisted between the old firmware and the newest version. I tried updating but the problem is still there.

Wave agent: file imports into wave agent and shows metadata but wont play and shows 00.00 as a duration but again, if I open it in VLC player it plays as i nothing is wrong at all.

I have marked all my SD cards now (as of last night) and am trying to determine if it is with one particular card or not.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the 6 series devices play a little better when you record Poly vs Mono tracks.  What I would try is set the SD card to poly, and then split it to the monos in wave agent.  Since you aren't having problems with the CF card, just leave it in Mono.  

The same thing happened on my 664 a couple of months ago, only to the CF card, recording poly files on approved Sandisk Extreme Pro media. But only one file was corrupted and it hasn't happened since with that card. But it's still disconcerting, to say the least. Sound Dev had no insights.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the 6 series devices play a little better when you record Poly vs Mono tracks.  What I would try is set the SD card to poly, and then split it to the monos in wave agent.  Since you aren't having problems with the CF card, just leave it in Mono.  

i would like to record in poly but post wants the mono files and I am delivering on SD to them (also their request).

The same thing happened on my 664 a couple of months ago, only to the CF card, recording poly files on approved Sandisk Extreme Pro media. But only one file was corrupted and it hasn't happened since with that card. But it's still disconcerting, to say the least. Sound Dev had no insights.

I figure that it must be a card issue but it doenst really correspond with the cycle that I usually do with cards (all numbered and I reuse them in order as they come back from post) but I wasnt making notes on what cards I used each day so i cant be sure until it happens again. Maybe the gods are trying to tell me to buy a 688!