Sound Devices 688 + SL-6

Ze Frias

The 633 is still my go to for 90% of my work. The new bells and whistles are nice but not needed enough to take the hit right now.

Same sentiments and position.  The 633 blew me out of the water with the Cost vs Features vs Size ratio and it's made my work much easier thanks to it.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job Sound Devices and congratulations on what will undoubtedly be a hugely successful product release.  I don't personally need a beast like this, just graduating from a 4 channel bag up to a 6 channel bag, but if I needed lots of wireless, couldn't think of any other product that would compete with something like this.  I would suggest some day in the future an SL-12, perhaps with the receivers oriented vertically, for the tricked out "Audio Packmule" mode.  I'm not a fan of NP-1 batteries myself, but otherwise flawless.

As long as we are writing a specification for a "Super Slot" what I really feel that is missing is adding RF integration to the slot format and remote control.

Great looking thing!

I concur with the linear fader thing. Another thing I'm not crazy about are those popup-faders. Can't imagine anyone mixing 12 channels on those rotarys, especially in a bag... Why include those tiny pots when there's mix assist anyway? Inputs 7-12 would be assist, and then you could probably mix with the big pots manually if you wanted to. I'd rather have rolloff I must say.

For those curious,

You can use a SL-6 and CL-6 simultaneously with the 688. 

With this configuration, the SL-6 can only be mounted on top, and CL-6 on the bottom. 

When used in conjunction with the CL-6, the smaller rotary faders become gain trim control.

Also - the 788T is going nowhere. 

I disagree. I think the mini faders are great. Sure, doesn't compare to a full size fader but it beats the hell out of trying to use the menu knob. Hpf is a set it and forget it control for me 99% of the time.

This way you have an easy to use mix interface for occasional usage of inputs 7-12.

664 is analog mixer, and for some, that offers a big advantage.

What advantage would that be? (...I'm not being provocative, - genuinely interested in this).

My guess is that the 668 was always on the cards, but the 664 was easier to get out at the time to keep the brand relevant and compete.

Now I wonder if they'll ever update the firmware for 664, - even the 663 offers more than 48khz!!!....I want my money back.

So a few more details from Paul Isaacs:

"No external audio cables are necessary to get audio from the SL-6 to the 688. All audio is passed through a short cable that runs between the bottom panel of the SL-6 and the top panel of the 688. Its a cable similar to the one that connects the CL-6 to the 664 except is has a few more pins. This small cable also passes serial command data (for control and monitoring of receivers) and powering."

I think this is quite significant.

I don't need analog mixing. It makes no sense when the modern workflow mostly involves a multitrack device recording and delivering isos...

Still, this sort of integration is very aligned with your idea of "one-unit". Seeing Sound Devices collaborate with Lectrosonics and Wisycom to get this sort of integration done is quite a big deal in my book.

Why include those tiny pots when there's mix assist anyway? I'd rather have rolloff I must say.

Those smaller faders, if they are indeed PoP up, are fantastic. If you have ever attempted to "mix" channels 7-10 on a nomad for example without dedicated knobs, you definitely would not ask, why include tiny pots. Bring them on!

For those in speculation on the demise of the 788t- 

"The 788T is still alive and well. We continue to develop for it."  Jon Tatooles

Develop it?! How about a new one, its time already! 

Also SL4 for the 633 please!! Who the hell needs to walk around with 12 radio mics, poor guy :)