Sound Devices 688 + SL-6

Ze Frias

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first (30) seconds of that video gave me a really bad flashback O_O.

Does anyone else feel that producers want us to start being more like mobile sound carts in a sound bag? Don't get me wrong, I see this as a replacement/alternative to the 788T for bag work but still...I beg the question...are more channels better for bag work?

788bag.jpg

This bag setup alone gave me back pain after 2 days of using it. Is it an injury waiting to happen? Thoughts?

(the picture was a rental fyi hence the bad flashback I had)

This is digital, like the 633. 664 is analog. Some people like that. So (unlike the 664), this can do input and output delays. It also has pop up faders for imputs 7-12. They've also added mix assist, which 633, of course, does not have.

For me, with 633 as my over the shoulder, docu. rig, and 664 on the cart, I'll stick with what I have. I do wish I had the integrated output delay, but, of course, that wasn't possible with the 664, since it's analog.

PG

Another thing I just thought of. The link I/O on the 664 allows me to send the mix tracks from my Sonosax, so I don't have to give up any isolation tracks. This will not be possible with the 688, like it isn't possible with the 788T (unless you use the CL-9, of course).

The X3, X4, X5, and X6 outputs of the 688 can have any combination of the ISO's or any combination of the X1, X2, L, R, HP-L, and HP-R buses assigned to them. The X1 and X2 outputs have the same source options, minus the X1 and X2 buses themselves (of course). That should make up for the lack of a Link I/O in most setups.

If no link io ( so an external mixer can be used without scarifying tracks ) then an external linear fader controller is a must. Or else, this is an omission made on purpose by the MFG to make customer buy more stuff ( most likely a cart recorder and a bag recorder ).

Being a digital mixer, there is no reason one can't be made.

Crossing my fingers here.

If no link io ( so an external mixer can be used without scarifying tracks ) then an external linear fader controller is a must. Or else, this is an omission made on purpose by the MFG to make customer buy more stuff ( most likely a cart recorder and a bag recorder ).

Being a digital mixer, there is no reason one can't be made.

Crossing my fingers here.

I hope you're right because I really want to want this machine but without linear controls, it would be too redundant for me because I have my 664. If there is something else they're waiting to announce I hope they do it soon because I'm about to pull the trigger on an analog mixer.