Power UPS?

Richard Ragon

I have used various UPCs for years.....  I for one love them..  Many prefer batteries for everything...  Not me...  Get a bigger one than 500 watts though... Not much bigger, and you get to run more gear longer during a move  Etc.

What are you planning to run off your UPS?  Many of us have built power systems for our carts that are hybrid AC/battery setups that function as UPSs, in addition to allowing full DC operation w/o AC.  I'd recommend going this way (PSC and Remote Audio products or something homebrew like Jeff W built) with AGM type batteries instead of a commercial UPS designed for temporary backup of computers in an office.  I'm a kind of low-budg guy and found the PSC "Cart-Power" box to work very well for me, bang for buck-wise.  Search the forum an find Jeff's homemade box--seems to work very well for him.

Philip Perkins

Phillip,

The UPCs (UPS)  are inexpensive, and easily replaced or the battery is...

That being said,  I can run my mixer, wireless, recording device ,monitor and a handful of other things off it.  I only use it to get from location to location if it is a push over thing, otherwise the gear gets switched off.  The UPC also saves you if you have a power failure of some sort.

I ALWAYS have A/C nearby on our shoots. Either the sparks have it, location has it or I have it with my Honda 1000.....  If it gets too wild, I'll break out the bag rig.

Of course there are trick more expensive ways to power your gear. There's always a tricker piece of gear, and yes I can afford it, but why. 

Like you said "function like UPSs"  why not just use a good one!  I have NEVER had any problems with any of the quality ones I have used, nor have I heard any buzz or noise.

Running all your gear via battery in my opinion is over rated,  I dislike watching the reserve level go down, always have...  Hell there is an A/C outlet right next to me,  why not use it!

As always, only an opinion.  The distro systems are nice,  I guess there is some concern in regards to the converters AC to DC or visa Versa though.  I have never had an issue though....  ever.

I get them wholesale at around $150.00  and they last years....  That's a lot of "Green"

I will chime in here since Phillip mentioned the cart power system I use.

"That being said,  I can run my mixer, wireless, recording device ,monitor and a handful of other things off it.  I only use it to get from location to location if it is a push over thing, otherwise the gear gets switched off.  The UPC also saves you if you have a power failure of some sort."

The first question that needs to be asked is whether the majority of equipment on the cart is natively DC powerable to begin with. I suspect that for most people this is the case. When deciding what to use for cart power, if the gear requires AC then that will dictate all sorts of things. It is these situations where inverters, UPS (uninterrupted AC power via battery - DC-) may be needed.

When the gear wants to see DC (which almost everything does with the exception of the Yamaha and some video monitors) these items, in my opinion, are best powered by DC (battery).

"I ALWAYS have A/C nearby on our shoots. Either the sparks have it, location has it or I have it with my Honda 1000....." 

This is true for most of us --- that is why I use the type of cart power supply that provides for DC operation while connected to AC.

"Like you said "function like UPSs"  why not just use a good one!"

I think what Philip means is that the sort of cart power that we're talking about accomplishes "uninterrupted power" but does not utilize a standalone UPS product.

"Running all your gear via battery in my opinion is over rated,  I dislike watching the reserve level go down, always have...  Hell there is an A/C outlet right next to me,  why not use it!"

I do use it and the reserver level does not go down at all --- unless I am without AC. When the AC is pulled, so the cart can be moved as you mention, then the equipment is depleting the batteries only for the time the AC is not connected. In my case, I can run everything on the cart for about 6 hours with no AC. I don't think this is an "over rated" feature of my cart power supply. This setup gives me a lot of security with a very simple supply.

"As always, only an opinion.  The distro systems are nice,  I guess there is some concern in regards to the converters AC to DC or visa Versa though.  I have never had an issue though....  ever."

The concern for AC to DC conversion and stuff is that if you are using AC (pass through your UPS) and then on to a piece of gear that wants DC, you will have some item (at the very least a wall wart type AC to DC converter) whereas if you were powering the gear with a direct DC connection this is one less outboard item.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Quote from Jeff:

"In my case, I can run everything on the cart for about 6 hours with no AC. I don't think this is an "over rated" feature of my cart power supply. This setup gives me a lot of security with a very simple supply."

Jeff,  how much is your cart power supply?  This is a point.....  I have no idea.

I only need as I say DC operation during moves and such, so an hour is more than enough....  I have a 1200 watt UPC which provides much more than that....Especially when powering down the gear.....  which is how easy?

Having the stand alone product does not bother me, I have the space....

As for the DC concerns of the gear,  My Cooper and Fostex gear both have dependable converters and power supplies which have worked great over the years for me,  but again, that's just me.... No space concern, not a big deal... I also have almost always used even my Lectros AC!!!!!  Long snake to set, AC included..... UPC of course... Works great, never any problems.... Remember, block backup batts are always close at hand, 4 pins too.

I do use the BDS Lithium NPL-7s for all my bag related gear though.

That's the beauty of this business, it is the concepts on how to accomplish the goals you need to meet, not so much as how you arrive at those means!!!

Good Mixer, Good mics, good radios, Great boom op, good working attitude, and some knowledge on how to work in this industry....  don't forget your balls if applicable.

Jeff,  your cart based power supply sounds great, the PSC and remote products as well.  I am not one to rule out a change to my system when warranted, these are all great and functional options.

The vast majority of my cart is still AC powered.  So, I thought that a UPS would be an easy fix for moving around on the set and not loosing my chargers, monitors, wireless system, mixer.. or other gear that doesn't like the loss of power.

When I go the DC route, I most definitely will looking into a PSC power unit..  Or am I thinking wrong on this?

Thanks

-Richard

I am a DC believer who's cart is all DC capable. Having said that I use AC to power my cart through a PSC AC to DC disstro that has battery back up and 6 DC outputs. I really like this system. My 20ah battery will power the whole rig for at least 6 hours as well as the small moves without AC, or when it gets kicked out.

CrewC

I use a PSC powermax , probably one of the last ones made ( now they have a one called Ultra powermax I think )

and recently had the surge protectors blown out . This unit is plugged into a Zero Surge box , which I thought was

going to protect the powermax. I may have plugged into improperly grounded AC and experienced a prolonged

voltage surge?  So now I test for correct grounding with a three prong tester that I got from home depot (electrical-

section) before I plug in the AC cord.

Regards,

KKS

In the work we do with my cart, we need to be able to do several locations in a day, interior, exterior, wherever and it may very well be that there will NOT be AC available, and possibly not time to fire up a little Honda and get it far enough away with enough cable to reach it to not be shooting myself in the foot.  The camera people (esp film) can roll out and roll up, and we are expected to do the same.  If the video assist guy can't get up in time for the magic hour scene the director and DP want then "oh well", but not getting the dialog is not an entertainable possibility.  We can't be dependent on anyone else for power, at least for a few hours, depending on what gear we use.  The UPS thing is no news to me-- I use a computer-based multitrack rig and know from bitter experience that a power kickout is no joke--it means a full reboot, but I need a system that will keep my full rig: mixer, computer, several RX, Comtek TX, monitor(s), interfaces, light etc up for quite awhile, all day and all night if needed.  This is just what the work we do seems to demand. 

Philip Perkins

I use a UPS for my FF800 and a powered USB hub for my external drives.  For my A/C mixer, I use a premium inverter powered by a PSC Powerstation.  Everything else powers from the PSC Cart Power and a Pelican battery.  This rig can power me for quite a while without A/C, which I agree is critical.  If I give up the back-up Boom Recorder, I can run a long time without A/C.

There are many ways to approach powering the cart, but I think all of them should allow you to be self-sufficient and mobile.  At the VERY least, a temporary loss of power should not shut down any critical elements of the cart.

Robert

By "how much" do you mean cost? It's about $200. in parts and the labor is FREE (I don't charge myself anything). It is a 2 box affair with the 2nd box being just batteries. With the 1 box on the cart I have 20 amp hour capacity and the 2nd box (which sits on top) adds up to 40 amp hours (and considerable extra weight).

-  Jeff Wexler

By "how much" do you mean cost? It's about $200. in parts and the labor is FREE (I don't charge myself anything). It is a 2 box affair with the 2nd box being just batteries. With the 1 box on the cart I have 20 amp hour capacity and the 2nd box (which sits on top) adds up to 40 amp hours (and considerable extra weight).

-  Jeff Wexler

Well Jeff,

You can't argue with $200.00 ....   (Of course I would pay for your time as well)    Maybe if you are feeling like it, you could build one for me...  I would purchase one of yours!!!!

Just to clarify...

I keep 3 sizes of DC batteries handy,  Deep cycle marine 12 V  ( gives me DAYS of power)  Pelican 12 V,  Belt batts,  and my Bag kit if necessary....  Some added weight for sure when loaded, but I don't care too much.

I have seldom have NO AC from either the location or the sparks, and I do not depend on them.  My Honda is always handy and I have never been able to NOT fire that up if needed, no matter where I have been. 

When all that fails short for whatever reason,   I have my array of Batteries standing by....  We usually have the ability for SOME prior thought about what is next to shoot..... Like shooting pool,  plan ahead a bit for your next shot....  Break out what you need and use it.  If were talking about a panicked Magic hour shot, I am sure we ALL go through that,  my UPS will carry the load and time frame if I choose to stick with it.

Again, whatever gets your gear powered up and functioning.....   It's getting it done, not how we all do it.  I love all the opinions and functional operations of all you guys....  Good stuff...    As long as the lights come on!!!!

I recently integrated an AC/DC power supply suggested by our humble moderator into my cart with excellent success.

< http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/rs-150-12.shtml >

From this thread:

http://www.jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1491.0

It does not, however, avoid the necessity for a UPS in front of the mission critical AC-only devices that are in the recording chain.

I choose to run those devices via electrics- or house-supplied AC instead of running an inverter all the time.

When house AC comes up short for those inevitable occasions  ("let's run over here and shoot this little scene...just camera and sound"), I can run everything off battery/puresine inverter for about 3 hours before needing to swap out 33-Ah batteries.

Worst case scenario, I'll skip going to Boom Recorder (usually my primary), and just use the 788T.

I still have some work to do for extreme seamlessness (switching and whatnot), but it's worked well for a couple months now.

Brian

My entire cart is 12V with a switch between the AC side and the DC side.

DC cable to a 36AH battery. I hardly ever use this. It's heavy and I almost always can find power on set now days.

AC side, I use a very simple Astron Power Supply. The switching supply works fine with no noise, low heat and light weight. I think I have the 18A model which is way overkill.

http://www.astroncorp.com/showpage.asp?p=4

I strap a small 12V battery (your size can vary) in series to get me from outlet to outlet. Put a large power diode between them if your worried about draining the battery via the power supply (I'm not).

Simple, Cheap, works great.