Need More FreqFinder Beta Testers for iOS

NewEndian

I'm looking to release the next update which will add Avoid Lists to FreqFinder. And I need people willing to brave the initial testing of the update.

Avoid Lists are a simple way to veto any frequency range of your choosing. Adding Avoid ranges comes in 3 different flavors:

- Manual enter a name and the high and low values for the range

- Press the Avoid Channel button on any transmitter to mark it as a bad frequency (the range will be input into your Avoid List)

- Select a predefined Avoid Preset such as particular TV channels. The list of presets will be continually improved upon (suggestions welcome)

I have of course done my best to make it bug free, but I don't have all devices that are available to users. I need users to install the beta and report back on any bugs. The sooner I verify it works on devices outside of my control, the sooner everyone can enjoy the update.

You can PM me with your email address for an invite.

Thank you all,

James

So far I have three sets of presets: US TV, UK TV, and Japan TV. Naturally, I need to fill in holes and I'd like everyone's help to do so.

I'm considering that my imagination is limited here. If you've got a great idea, I'd like to hear it. Only request is that it fit logically into the Category/Preset scheme.

Are these avoid lists location specific? Not surprisingly, different locations have different RF conditions, so if there are frequencies to avoid, they would have to only be relevant within a certain area. Just a thought :)

The avoid lists are not location specific. Making them respond to your location would be too complicated an endeavor.

As it stands, I believe the use of multiple TX Profiles is the best way of organizing different locations. The avoid list is attached to its respective TX Profile.

To specifically utilize frequency finder to avoid intermod's with other mixers RF units, you would have to enter those in as TX's in your profile.  You will be able to list whole TV Channels to avoid, but it can't use every frequency in that TV Channel to calculate intermods.  Correct me if I'm wrong James, but I believe the idea is to use this neat, new feature to exclude known bad frequency ranges from appearing in suggested compatible frequency scans.  

And thanks for continually improving and adding functionality to an already impressive and "can't do without" app in the field.

You are correct on most points, Tom.

Avoid could be used for transmitters as well. Sometimes you want to avoid overlap with a set of transmitters but don't want to calculate their intermod. I may add the ability to import a TX Profile directly into the Avoid List.

This does overlap functionally with the Disable option for transmitters.

I feel like the combination of Avoid Lists, Disable, and Protected settings will open up the capability of FreqFinder. But in the long term, I am also considering an "Advanced" version of FreqFinder with a more complex way of organizing transmitters that would provide much more configuration: things like increasing the intermod protection on some transmitters but not others; or grouping transmitters that are much more likely to intrepid with each other (bag transmitters, for instance). But again, that is down the road.

Overall, FreqFinder as it stands, still only really suits the simple cart setup. There are much larger shows I've worked on that I think need better customization. So, still working on it...

Sorry, Chris. I'd rather spend my time on functionality, not beauty. It's more difficult than it seems to replace a UI. But trust me when I say the Android interface is completely unrelated to iOS. The awful looking quality of the UI is 100% my doing.

i'd be happy to test … running iOS 8.2 on iPhone 5 … send me a PM

something i'd be curious to see, is a way to load pre calculated lists into the app, either from itself or from elsewhere …

EDIT...

Thanks to the OP I've discovered I can import profiles already created in FF if I export them to an email then open the FF email attachment in FF then I can create and rename a new profile from the attachment which can be edited accordingly ... I should read more and click less

... I've found a work around, however if there was an even better more streamline method i'd be all the happier with an app which i'm already extremely happy with … this thread made me think of putting my request out there as this is somewhat similar to what your "avoid" update seems to be doing …

FYI (and I just learned this too), if you're on the beta build, you can "buy" any in-app purchases without actually paying.

Also, if you had already purchased TVDB and find that it stops working, it might be simply because using it in beta requires you to "purchase" it in beta. I'm trying to figure out how to confirm that now.

Seems like a good use of my once-a-year tech support question from Apple.