The industry in London

DillonBochon

Hi to all the folks on JWSound.

I'm a Vancouver based mixer still in my entry stages, and I'm making a trip out to London at the end of April.

For my personal experience and to help me experience the sound department in many different ways, I'd love to meet a mixer from there.

I'd love to get together for a beer or coffee. However, I'd really like to see how you run your sets in Europe. Feel free to contact me over this forum, or at DillonBochon@hotmail.com.

PS: The drinks are on me!

From a European point of view, the British, especially the London based location recordists are the greatest.

They have excellent reputation all over the continent and great experience because of the many BBC documentaries which are produced.

Funny - a Canadian director I was working with today in London said " all sound recordists end up fat doing a job no one else wants to". Said in jest of course but I couldn't help thinking " wow you feel really good about yourself ".

Nice to hear our craft is appreciated in Canada. I was taught at film school in UK by an excellent Canadian mixer who had boomed since he was a teenager.

I'm not sure I could get you on set but please do a reminder message nearer the time, I will have more of an idea about my work commitments. I'm sure many others will chime in with much much more experience than me......

Lisala

• 1 month later...

Good to speak to you yesterday Dillon and hope you have a good visit to London and manage to hook up with some of the others - as you know, I'm still up in Durham this and next week when you're over. If you've a spare hour or so on your east coast train journey back down from Scotland next week your tickets (usual for UK trains) will probably allow you to break your return journey and I'll gladly give you a quick tour of our 11th century cathedral and one of the nearby pubs!

Thanks everyone for the kind words about we British. I'll return the compliment by thanking all the kind industry professionals in Europe, the US and Asia who have invited me onto sets and into studios and theatres over my career. I'll look forward to making it over to Vancouver some time in the future.

Best regards, and hope you have a great stay,

Jez Adamson