I need a little help with SKB sliding shelf

pvanstry

Hi guys, I need a little help for something. I am building a case for a friend and plan on using an SKB VS1 sliding shelf. I have a couple of things to ask:

1- any issues using it? Is it a good product for our use? Will be installing an audio bag on it.

2- I need to measurement( max depth including frame. ) web site only says about usable shelf dimension but I need to knoe how much space it needs in a rack ( how deep does the rack needs to be.

3- long term use. Is it holding up?

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?id=182&c=119&o

Thanks

Pascal

I do know of people who are using this shelf from SKB but my opinion is it sucks. I had 2 of them. The first one was broken when it arrived (easily damaged in transit) so I returned it for another. The next one arrived, undamaged, but during the fairly simple install and after a few pulls in and out, it too broke in very much the same place. The plastic is very weak, has way too much flex and the metal sliders are not attached to the plastic very well. Adding to that, I found the full surface Velcro really annoying for anything other than throwing Velcro equipped things onto it. Some people have removed this Velcro insert and replaced it with perforated aluminum sheet (my preferred shelf material) and some have even replaced the sliders. Once you go to all that work you might as well fabricate the shelf yourself from scratch. In my view the only thing it has going for it is that it is black and is fairly lightweight.

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the honest review. Makes me think about using something else. Is there an aluminium option out there you would recommend?

I haven't seen them yet but I heard that Rackman is making custom aluminum sliding shelves. Rackman is the company here in Sylmar that started making aluminum drawers at our request. Prior to Rackman, StarCase was the only company that I knew of that produced aluminum drawers (and StarCase does not make an aluminum sliding shelf, only steel).

Rackman     http://www.rackman.com

had 3 of them in my cart. No breaking here. They just take a lot of height which I needed eventually for my gear. I have replaced the plastic part with aluminium on two of them.

The locking mechanism on the side (red thingy) will get loose after a while which is a pita cause you need to get the whole shelf out of the rack to get access to that little screw needs some tightning.

Depth needed in your rack: 42cm

post-495-0-18328100-1427293262_thumb.jpg

post-495-0-68872900-1427293295_thumb.jpg

post-495-0-86968800-1427293327_thumb.jpg