steady cam noise

creeoss

hey guys, I'm doing sound on a movie right now and there are a lot of scenes with no dialogue, shot with a steady cam (noisy running type of shots), tight budget, just wondering if yall been through this and have any suggestions. I have already talked to production and informed them the sound on those shots is unusable. most of the shots are like walking through hallways and running through snow type stuff.

thanks in advance, having a moment!

I did something like this years ago. I experimented with walking along somewhere near the actor, as they were doing the camera shot. I was, in fact, walking in step with the actor, and recording my own footsteps - it was like 'live' ADR/Foley. It worked surprisingly well ;-)

Kindest,

sb

is there no budget for post sound? they can use the rough production audio to help the foley walker along if the foley walker wants to listen to it. It doesn't take a good foley walker long to add footsteps to a scene. Ive seen them do it in one take...

hey guys, thank you so much for your posts, they do have money for post, I was toying with the idea of doing some stuff wild if they have some time but was wondering also if it would even match action that well and therefor be better left for foley???

It's great fun when it works. A boom op I worked with when I was a 3rd was very good at it.

One time a director was actually on headphones for the shot, and afterwards exclaimed, "That was amazing! How are you recording his footsteps?" We showed him. Lots of laughter.

It is someone's job to do this in post, and as long as that person is in place, I don't think it's wise to waste valuable production time, or risk injury to people, gear, and the shot itself to get something that should and will be replaced. But only you can determine the value of the foley for each situation, weighing the pros and cons.

+1 for what Mr. Sharman says (Sorry don't know your name while have been reading pretty much all your posts for some time...)

I remind myself something Jeff also reminds here frequently. It's sound for visual and always good idea to understand the priority and let the production do their steady cam shots. What steady cam adds to what director wants to tell? vs the importance of capturing the organic sound of the steps in your case. Que track? pretty much "a must" I think. 

+1 to the "live Foley" approach. If you can do the footsteps in sync with the actors, do so.

A wild track won't be of much use since post will have to align each footstep anyway, and then it's easier to Foley it.

As long as it's not lipsync dialog, don't worry about getting the real sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Allot of good tip's here, backing the lot!

People always want to join the steadicam crew for some reason, and many times I have to talk them out of if because it makes my tracks less useful. That's step one for me.

I always try to get a wild take without dialogue. Walking in pace with actors with a long boom eliminates my own footsteps.

"Let the actors walk, or run, around you in in a big circle so you don't have to walk yourself. "

Different tempi and or ways of walking will also help in post.