Filming on a commercial jet in Flight

Billy W

I have a potential upcoming job that would require recording sound on a a commercial airliner while it's in flight.

Thoughts that come to mind:

- Lav's will be the only reliable source of audio

- Perhaps the AC, air blowing systems can be shut down or minimized for sound purposes while in flight.

- Film at cruising altitude for reduced noise

- Talent will need to talk very loudly

- I'm wondering if wireless is an issue while flying

- Overdubs may be required

Does anyone have any experience recording in this sort of atmosphere? Any ideas how to deal with the crazy amount of noise on an airplane? 

First off, I think you shouldn't use wireless at all. Probably safe, but you're on a commercial airliner and using a product with much more transmission power than your phone which you're not allowed to use in flight. Could make people angry or upset and lawsuits and whatnot. Get yourself lavs that are cabled.

Second, good luck. With any luck you could produce audio that will work depending on what the atmosphere of the scene is like.

And a CMIT or cs3e might be better than you think.

Depending on framing you could try planting mics on the chairs..

I've used wireless lavs in flight--they worked fine.  You need permission for everything, someone from the airline with you, and the pilot and the chief flight attendant have the absolute final say re what you can or can't do when and where, and their word is final.  They are not going to mitigate the plane's air conditioning system for you.  Beyond that you can get some ok interview material this way, noisy yes, but it's been done many times.

philp

Many people have used ZFR300s in flight. Use the wireless QC with an ERX2TCD to check for audio quality and time code lock. Zaxcom wireless can also be used in recording mode only. Either way you can do this without airline  interference problems.

Glenn

Client is a major airline and I believe getting permission to use wireless isn't an issue. I will have to be stealthy to not make passengers nervous.

Many people have used ZFR300s in flight. Use the wireless QC with an ERX2TCD to check for audio quality and time code lock. Zaxcom wireless can also be used in recording mode only. Either way you can do this without airline  interference problems.

Glenn

Good call on the ZFR300. This or something like it would be a great.

Any transmuting on board will need clearance from the airline/pilot.

If you are sitting in front or behind the talent maybe a hardwired lav recorded in bag ?

Very noisy environment, but they would spend a fortune adding the noise later to make it sound real.... lol....

......there will be no transmuting on board, hard to get clearance for that!!...

I've used transmitters (with and without official permission) a few times. No issues.

Last year, I actually sat in a C-130 (noncommercial, I know) for 4 hours on the ground while the air crew ran the engines and got us to systematically power up our gear (Nomad, Lectros, Zaxcom can link, GoPros, F800's) while they checked/measured for IEM interference and RF interference within the entire electronics system. As the air crew expected, we produced nothing that would interfere with anything on that plane.

Good fun

I'm saying that I've been prepared to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

I wouldn't ever do it on a commercial flight, but a private or military flight, I wouldn't hesitate.

My worry wouldn't be interfering with the planes electronics, but rather, risking the production getting shut down.

"I've used transmitters (with and without official permission) a few times. No issues."

So are you saying don't worry about getting permission?

There's no reason to not use standard UHF wireless on the airliner. Wireless mic fregs in the US do not overlap with any avionics frequencies. The reason cell phones are disallowed and "airplane mode" is an inflight rule, has nothing to do with interference with the avionics, but only to do with the ability for someone to trigger a bomb from inside the aircraft.

I suggest using your wireless lavs without even asking, just like you'll be using a mixer and recorder without asking.

gt

There's no reason to not use standard UHF wireless on the airliner. Wireless mic fregs in the US do not overlap with any avionics frequencies. The reason cell phones are disallowed and "airplane mode" is an inflight rule, has nothing to do with interference with the avionics, but only to do with the ability for someone to trigger a bomb from inside the aircraft.

I suggest using your wireless lavs without even asking, just like you'll be using a mixer and recorder without asking.

gt

One has to ask, would someone who was intending to do that obligingly obey the rule? :)

One has to ask, would someone who was intending to do that obligingly obey the rule? :)

Exactly. Of course not, which shows that it is actually an insignificant risk. If there were an actual risk, it would be like saying "Everyone please put their guns in airplane mode".

gt

Exactly. Of course not, which shows that it is actually an insignificant risk. If there were an actual risk, it would be like saying "Everyone please put their guns in airplane mode".

gt

+1! Voice of reason thank you. Use your transmitter if you need, and carry on the lav bullit without fear. It's all fine!

gt

OK so why bother with any attempted voluntary control of cell phones if the entire reason for this is to stop them being used as a trigger, but anyone who was going to use it for that purpose would be very unlikely to voluntarily comply, and therefore renders the attempted control completely ineffective?

That is why bother at all with please switch phones off or put them in flight mode, if it's a complete waste of time?