Folding Zuca Bag Cart

Pete D

Zuca Bags aren't anything new, and this is nowhere near as extensive as or Zuca cart builds but I figured I would share anyway.

The idea was to make a minimalist bag cart that could fold up and be easily put into the trunk of a sedan (nyc taxi). I decided to go with a Zuca bag mostly because I already had one. Similarly I decided to use 1515 profiles from 8020 because I had some left over from another project.

So, here it is:

The top shelf folds down over the Zuca for easy transport:

The hinges are from 8020 and I used a long T-nut on each side as locks to prevent the shelf from accidentally falling when there's weight on it:

Here's an action shot of it on set (this is actually a beta version that didn't fold but the general shape is the same):

Right now there's only the one hook on it but more will be added. Additionally, an Israeli arm for a small video monitor and an antenna mast will be added soon. I also keep extra 1/4"-20 T-nuts in my kit so attaching accessories can easily be done on the fly.

Doron posted this to facebook a few days ago

attachicon.gif10359028_10153177066513934_323696529890226368_o.jpg

Said it would retail for $650

I could build something that would better fit my needs for half that and as a bonus it wouldn't look like I'm mixing on a soft sided suitcase

I think it's still a viable option for those who don't like to diy, and are looking for that type of solution.

I think the zuca diy carts I'm seeing are awesome though.

I think, solely from looking at that picture, the Orca bag cart bag seems like a good out of the box solution for someone who is not diy minded.

That said, I prefer the modularity that 8020 stuff allows. Being able to quickly attach/detach accessories on a whim is very appealing to me.

Plus, the zuca that I whipped up, when folded, is a bit smaller(23.5"Hx19"Lx12.5"W). And when un-folded, provides a bit taller workspace (33.5" to the upper shelf). And if anyone is curious it weighs in at 22lbs, empty.

Plus I just like building things. DIY, it's a labor of love