Water restrictions California

Prahlad Strickland

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about starting with

1. No more watering lawns, any lawns.

2. No more filling private swimming pools. Want to swim? Go to your local public pool.

3. No more watering in cemeteries. They're dead. They won't notice.

4. Golf courses? They're a business. You can water the greens and the fairways, everything else goes brown.

5. Water parks? They're a business. You're probably recycling your water already. Keep it up. If not, shut down until you do.

I wonder how much water would be saved if people stopped growing pot?  

Since, IIRC, most of the marijuana in California is grown in the northern part of the state (Mendocino and Humboldt Counties), and Northern California gets more rain than the deserts of southern and central California, not much.

"Northern California is enjoying a healthy wet winter so far, with rainfall levels at 100 percent of their historic average or above in nearly every city, and reservoirs, while still not back to normal, steadily filling. But rainfall totals in the south are anemic, and falling further behind as each major storm only drenches the northern part of the state, leaving the south dry."

- San Jose Mercury News, 2/9/15

Since, IIRC, most of the marijuana in California is grown in the northern part of the state (Mendocino and Humboldt Counties), and Northern California gets more rain than the deserts of southern and central California, not much.

"Northern California is enjoying a healthy wet winter so far, with rainfall levels at 100 percent of their historic average or above in nearly every city, and reservoirs, while still not back to normal, steadily filling. But rainfall totals in the south are anemic, and falling further behind as each major storm only drenches the northern part of the state, leaving the south dry."

- San Jose Mercury News, 2/9/15

A lot of grow houses in SoCA.

You're reading way too much into my post.

I wonder how much water would be saved if people stopped growing pot?  

A lot of grow houses in SoCA.

It's amazing how little you've changed in a year.

Are your jobs that brain-dead, that you have this much libidinal energy to sublimate ?

As for my part, I'm feeling surly and taking it out on you.

I agree:

All lawns outlawed, it's not a luxury we can afford. Do you know how beautiful a Live Coastal Oak, or a Starlight Sage is ? They're drought resistant, as are the rest here:

http://theodorepayne.org/

How many are there here in SoCal ? We can"t make a difference ?

Best,

Steven

I see the humility from your Dad's passing has worn off.  

This is what I resent and think is uncalled for and worthy of all contempt and scorn thrown your way. 

As for growing pot? Come on, that is so off the water usage charts it's laughable in its stupidity. You're just trolling with a question like that. Why post here if you don't want to contribute and be a part of it? Seriously, think about leaving (again). You'll be happier as will we.

CrewC

How about starting with

1. No more watering lawns, any lawns.

2. No more filling private swimming pools. Want to swim? Go to your local public pool.

An outright ban for either of these would cause outrage and legal action.   

Earlier in the year a law was passed that water company employees can report a homeowner to the police for lawn run-off (water that spills onto the sidewalk and thus flows to the storm drain, which goes to the sea, not the sanitary sewer), and thus get a fine.  This is in practice going to have zero effect.   From the number of houses around me that do this and don't care, I'd rather see the water company send out workers to each house and have then help tune the timing and amount the sprinkler runs to be efficient to start with. If a homeowner pays a lawn service to cut every week, they wouldn't be aware that they are overwatering.

There is an incentive program for replacing a watered lawn with a drought resistant desert style landscape.   At least one company is speciailizing in doing the work for you and getting paid 100% from the incentive.  You have to prove that the sprinkler usage has gone down after the work though, so it doesn't help if you've already let the lawn go brown.

There is allready a ban on filling a pool from empty.   If you pull 12000+ gallons extra in a month, I'm sure the water company will be coming to talk with you.  Banning topping up would lead to environmental problems though.   Once the water level goes down due to evaporation, the skimmer ceases to operate, meaning the surface of the water is no longer clean, and becomes attractive to mosquitoes and other insects.  The extra strain on the pool equipment as it constantly surges and gurgles the insufficient water flow can break it, leading to static water and more problems and cost to the homeowner.

The biggest over-watering offenders are the roadside landscapes, so I expect to see big pressure from the state and water companies on the cities to be the first to reduce by 25%, and it won't be hard for them.

The $100 incentive to change toilets (max one per household) to <1.3gpf runs out in June.   I hope this gets extended, I'm not ready to do mine yet.

I did experiments with my kids to note the water meter number before and after we did a bunch of water-using activities around the house when they had homework on it - our numbers were already way lower than the "the average household uses this much" numbers, except for our old toilet.

I think about this stuff all the time, but like others here I'm running out of things to do to reduce usage.    Water that goes down the drain gets cleaned and re-used (less the amount lost to leaks), so the real saving has to come from lawn and pool top-ups, the hardest ones to enforce.

Should water rates become tiered?   I hate the electric company for doing that, it made the ROI on a 100% electric vehicle out of the question (rant for another time).

This is what I resent and think is uncalled for and worthy of all contempt and scorn thrown your way.

As for growing pot? Come on, that is so off the water usage charts it's laughable in its stupidity. You're just trolling with a question like that. Why post here if you don't want to contribute and be a part of it? Seriously, think about leaving (again). You'll be happier as will we.

CrewC

You're very selective in who you think starts fights on this forum. If you go back and re-read you'll see that atheIsticmystic came out of the blue and attacks me. Go back and read it, it's post #32.

He says, "It's amazing how little you've changed in a year. Are your jobs that brain-dead, that you have this much libidinal energy to sublimate ?

As for my part, I'm feeling surly and taking it out on you."

He got bored and decided to pick on someone that had said nothing to him. He has a history in wanting to be agressive towards me and loves to engage.

A year ago his father passed on, rest his soul, and he became less agressive towards people and eventually stopped posting. My guess is he was putting his priorities in perspective and attacking me wasn't one of them. Atheistic reappears one year later and one of his first post he puts up is an unprovocked attack on me. My conclusion, his humbliness had worn off and, like any unrepentant addict, he's back to his old tricks. And to you, Crew, that makes me the bad guy.

As far as my water conservation tip; I get it, Crew, you like your pot, you enjoy getting high. I don't care. I enjoy hamburgers. I guess we all pick what's important in our lives.

It's amazing how little you've changed in a year.

Are your jobs that brain-dead, that you have this much libidinal energy to sublimate ?

As for my part, I'm feeling surly and taking it out on you.

I agree:

All lawns outlawed, it's not a luxury we can afford. Do you know how beautiful a Live Coastal Oak, or a Starlight Sage is ? They're drought resistant, as are the rest here:

http://theodorepayne.org/

How many are there here in SoCal ? We can"t make a difference ?

Best,

Steven

I'll repost his words in case he decides to go back and edit them so he won't look like the aggressor.

Poor Mirror, you are simply just a poor, poor innocent bystander in this thread and have done nothing what so ever to bring this on yourself. After all, YOU are the real victim here and simply just misunderstood. If only you had the freedom to express who you really are in public, instead of being forced to hide behind a secret closeted online identity.  Wow, you are so very brave. 

Mirror,

One thing I have never done here is edited my posts...so don't worry. I also admitted that I was feeling surly, and was taking it out on you...you're a target-rich environment unto yourself, big brother.

But figuratively speaking, I postured, and you sucker-punched me. I was genuinely surprised.

So take your licks and move on. As for victims, (In the words of the late Brandon Lee), aren't we all ?

best

On second thought, go fuck yourself.

best

Poor Mirror, you are simply just a poor, poor innocent bystander in this thread and have done nothing what so ever to bring this on yourself. After all, YOU are the real victim here and simply just misunderstood. If only you had the freedom to express who you really are in public, instead of being forced to hide behind a secret closeted online identity.  Wow, you are so very brave.

Please back up your position with facts instead of emotion.

Mirror,

One thing I have never done here is edited my posts...so don't worry. I also admitted that I was feeling surly, and was taking it out on you...you're a target-rich environment unto yourself, big brother.

But figuratively speaking, I postured, and you sucker-punched me. I was genuinely surprised.

So take your licks and move on. As for victims, (In the words of the late Brandon Lee), aren't we all ?

bestOn second thought, go fuck yourself.

best

Ok, cyberbully.

mirror mirror.... Always the misunderstood victim.

Throw out the racial slur and association of Tar-Baby, and having a discussion with the mirror man is much like that old story.  

{The Tar-Baby is a fictional character in the second of the Uncle Remus stories published in 1881; it is a doll made of tar and turpentine used to entrap Br'er Rabbit. The more that Br'er Rabbit fights the Tar-Baby, the more entangled he becomes.

In modern usage, "tar baby" refers to any "sticky situation" that is only aggravated by additional involvement in it.}

Since you are a recovering alcoholic/addict, I would think you could see that you're getting high on stirring up the pot and trolling for reactions rather than engaging in conversations and or sharing experiences from your professional career in sound. Doesn't seem healthy to me mirror, but what do I know? I've been labeled a pot head thus rendering my POV moot. 

Crew Chamberlain. Local 695. 

Sure, I would be happy to.  Who exactly should I address these facts to again?  Is there a phone number or email address you would like me to use? How about a first name?  No? I didn't think so.

You can address them to me, Mr Mirror, and everyone else here in this thread.

Facts please.