RIP Doug Sax

al mcguire

That's sad. I actually have The Sheffield Track Record that he is holding in the picture in the first link. Astonishing sound....terrible music thereby proving J Gordon Holt's thesis that the better the sound was recorded the worse the record would be which is so often true with music aimed at audiophiles.

Rest in peace Mr Sax.

Very sad indeed. As we see vinyl seeping back into the forefront of disc sales, we see a need for his services and expertise all the more. Having someone with his experience and passion at the forefront of advocating analog mediums would certainly get people excited about it. He will be missed.

A little late here. I had the pleasure of meeting Doug on s few occasions at AES meetings. Fascinating guy, always pushing the boundaries of sound recording. Still have quite a few of the albums he's mastered. Maybe not always the most interesting music, but certainly some of the best mastering I've ever heard. RIP.

"I don't care what they're talking about, all I want is a nice fat recording".

Harry Caul "The Conversation"

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this - I've also got a few of the Sheffield direct to disk pressings - still sound amazing I can't get anywhere near the soundstage using digital - music not amazing but I collect drum breaks and his transient test record is still the phatest drum sound in History.

RIP