k-tek avalon vs klassic boom pole..

r.paterson

The Avalons are great, and if you're going uncabled, I'd say they have very few downsides.  That said, for the cabled ones, they are much harder to repair, since you need to heat-gun them open.  With my Klassic pole, I find I'm opening it pretty regularly when I want make it smaller for transport, and for when the cable gets twisted or clumped up--a maintenance function that is not possible with the Avalons.  That said, they're a great deal if this isn't a concern.

I have an K-Tek KEG Avalon series graphite boom with an internal coiled cable. A heat gun is not necessary to separate the sections for cleaning, nor is it difficult to untangle the cable. The XLR-M connector unscrews (like a bolt) in the bottom mount model.  I'm sure Dave will reply and be more specific.

I have an K-Tek KEG Avalon series graphite boom with an internal coiled cable. A heat gun is not necessary to separate the sections for cleaning, nor is it difficult to untangle the cable. The XLR-F connector unscrews (like a bolt) in the bottom mount model.  I'm sure Dave will reply and be more specific.

This is correct. You do not need a heat gun to do basic repairs to any K-Tek pole. If you want cabled, the Avalon poles are a good pole. Here is a video I made describing the differences between our boom poles:

If you are worried about service issues, here is a video I made a while back where I show how you can get into an Avalon pole pretty easily.

The only time you'd ever use a heat gun is if you needed to remove the sleeves from the poles or the actual delrin base from the bottom of an Avalon pole, which you'd never really need to do. We've done it at the shop for custom things. I don't recommend customers do that on their own. For service like that, contact us and we'll help you out. 

Have you checked with all of our dealers in the UK?

Ah, apologies for the misinformation, I stand corrected.  I recall having a repair done on mine many years ago at Pro-sound, and I thought that it was for a cable replacement where a heat-gun was applied to the bottom, but the screw-off method makes a lot more sense.  I have since sold that pole and "traded up" to the Klassic.

e.

Being aware of how you are using the pole can also help eliminate problems with the internal cable. My first k-Tek avalon has still never required any tampering or fixing because I try to not rotate the pole when rotating the collars. Ive had that particular pole for many years now with no problems.

That said, I prefer the avalon series over the classic series. Couldn't really explain why, I think its mostly to do with the collars. But I made that decision based on trying both out in the field. However many good folks here stand by their classic poles with great pride, and why not? I suggest trying either one out and seeing which you like better :) I like the avalon series enough to own 5 of them!

My K-tek Avalon collars are destroying the K-tek gloves I got from pro-sound :- . They are coarse compared to the Klassic. The good thing about this is that it makes it easier to expand and collapse. The bad thing is that I like the feel of the Klassic collars better.

I never used an internal cabled pole before getting my Avalon, but just after a few hours I got used to it and rid of the noise.

Didn't try other brand yet

I have both the Klassic and Avalon (in two lengths)... My oldest Avalon has silver collars in the middle sections... yep, custom silver... and quite a bit smoother than the black collars.

LOL... I use the heck out of my K-Tek poles... and I like both the Avalon and the Klassic... almost equally. My Klassic has the right angle connection at the bottom, which I prefer over the end connection, but aside from that, I like them both.

If you get an Avalon I guarantee you'll love it... and eventually you'll have the cool custom silver collars too :-)