RIP Stan Freberg

al mcguire

A true genius.

In 1958, Freberg opened his own ad agency, Freberg Ltd. His slogan was “More Honesty Than the Client Had in Mind,” and he even had a corporate motto: “Ars Gratia Pecuniae” (Art of the Sake of Money).     from the article...

In the late '60s, around the time he was doing the breakthrough 'Woburn' campaign for Salada Tea, he called his agency "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Osborne".  

Also a very nice man. I did a half-dozen voice over sessions with Stan in the late 1970s on radio commercials, and he was a prince. Freberg was eccentric, unusual, and often as much as 4 hours late to the sessions, but he was one of those rare people who could take a script and make it twice as entertaining and twice as good as it was written, particularly in terms of comic timing. Really, really talented actor, writer, and director. 

The word "genius" is way overused in Hollywood, but Stan Freberg was definitely one of those people. My old pal Mark Evanier has a very nice obituary for Stan at this link:

http://www.newsfromme.com/2015/04/07/stan-freberg-r-i-p/