a note from Cinela

Jeff Wexler

I just heard from Philippe at Cinela that he is not able to make it to NAB this year but has graciously donated a Pianissimo windscreen for the RAMPS/JWSOUND Party Tuesday night. We will miss Philippe but will be quite pleased if I win a beautiful Cinela Pianissimo!

Guys; do you use something different for interiors ? I mean, do you use the Cinelas with the craddle-base inside and simply re-attach the top and cover when you move to exteriors ?

Cinela also has the OSIX shock mounts without any baskets. They are amazing.

Guys; do you use something different for interiors ? I mean, do you use the Cinelas with the craddle-base inside and simply re-attach the top and cover when you move to exteriors ?

The easiest way (but of course there is the cost) is to have your exterior mic in the windscreen complete at all times. Then, interior mic, without Cinela windscreen, in its own mount for interior work. That's what I do. The main players in this, Cinela, Rycote, K-Tek and others, have always strived to make it as easy as possible to have one mic, in the windscreen for exteriors, and then easily removed (or parts removed) to use the same mic for interiors. The Rycote Cyclone windscreen seems to have made this possible but I do not have personal experience with how successful this approach has been. Since I use Cinela mounts and windscreens, and K-Tek mounts, I will continue to have dedicated exterior mic and interior mic kept separate.

Generally I think there is no magic bullet on that point. And I'm not sure there should be either.. The cyclone is close but no cigar. I agree with Jeff that you should have a rigged mic in a zeppelin of your choice and switch with a quick release system

The CCM, 8000 and the small DPA (c preamp) mics could have a truly fast rig, given their size. A minix mount, and then some sort of ball that you could just put on whenever you wanted to be outside, and the hole of this ball would obviously have to be sized big enough to go over the minix. Underneath the minix there'd have to be some sort of foam or something that goes into that hole to support the "ball ". That's the fastest rig I can think of if the only thing you want to be able to do is go fast from in to out. Like the gag ball I guess...

I take a bit of a different approach...

Rycote Zeppelins and windscreens slide on and off quickly and easily....  I don't see the need to have them mounted with a mic at all times and switching out the whole unit... I mean, with probably less than a minute or two to change shock mounts or pulling off a zeppelin if need be, whats the problem?

We normally have a minute or two to figure out exterior or interior... Right..?  

If your buying NEW gear... these look interesting... If you have nice windjammers and rycote zeppelins.. they still work great...  come off quickly and are not too heavy... heavier maybe, but not a game changer...  

I am sure they sound great.... as does the Rycotes...

AFMY says: "I take a different approach..." I think we all take the approach that works best for us. One of the things that had motivated me to always have a mic in the shockmount in the windscreen ready to go is my use of the original Gary Woods QuickRelease. The Gary Woods Quick Release is fundamentally different than all the others out there and I wouldn't want to use anything else. All of my fishpoles and even my desk stands are equipped with this QuickRelease. When AFMY talks about "probably less than a minute or two", with my setup it is more like 6 seconds --- Don has actually changed out a mic while we are rolling. Again, this accommodates the way I like to work --- it's not for everybody.

Yeah, it's funny, different paths...lol

If your shooting ext., then i could see having a few mics already in zeppelins, making mic changes really fast...  with the gadgets or without...  You can throw money at this stuff till the cows come home, but in reality, you can easily do with simply looking at the schedule, looking at your scene or shot and making a mic choice and doing your shot... I seldom change mics while already shooting... I try to take a listen and arrive at a mic before hand... most of the time just knowing what should work best... if I have a feeling something else may be better suited, ... I will listen to two I think are best..... at the most...

I know this is off-topic, and I apologize.

Has anyone noticed a "thump" sorta noise when working with the Cinela Osix mount and a CMIT? I have with both the old metal and newer plastic Osix mounts. It isn't there with either Piano mount, but my boom has had to go back to the PSC/McDonald mount because of this.

It happens when you swing up and down, not side to side. If one has to jog alongside a dolly move or follow actors walking fast there is a "thump thump thump" always. Is there a known short in the Osix mounts? How can this be fixed?

Dan Izen

Dear Dan,

this is Philippe from Cinela. I thought my answer would interest other users.

If possible, the best would be that you send us a little wav file of the problem.

All noises are curable quite simply.

What you describe let me think of a possible unscrewing of an isolator arm (the extremity may rotate back and forth with movements and the friction create the noise).

In the other hand, if you feel a real low rumble, then what about filtering ? As it is important to remind it very often, the best would be to use a 50/70Hz 3rd order (+18dB/oct). With a 2nd order only (+12dB/oct), you may have too much rumble and/or too much filtering !

Please let me know !

Something else about the Pianissimo winner of the JW raffle in LV: Phil Palmer (CAS) made it !

For some bad reasons, the package was not there at the raffle, but Phil will have his Pianissimo very soon !

Philippe

Very excited to have won the Pianissimo mount.  And thank you Philippe for offering up such a prize at the RAMPS/JWS 25th anniversary party.  I think it may have been the biggest and best turnout ever!

My collection from Cinela currently include:

2 x OSIX 3 (for MKH50)

2 x OSIX CMIT (used with CSS3e)

2 x MINUX 8000 (for MKH8050)

1 x PIA 1 (used with CS3e)

1 x LEO (for MKH50)

This will tell you of how much I like the Cinela products!  

Thanks Philippe!

It happens when you swing up and down, not side to side. If one has to jog alongside a dolly move or follow actors walking fast there is a "thump thump thump" always.

The only noise I've ever had coming from my Osix was when the litte cable that's going across the top has dislodged itself from its clip thingy. In an up/down move it creates a bit of noise, although not really a thump. I'm hoping for better cable clip...

love my Cinela's, I have the piano, piannissimo, and minix ccm41's

the minix cinela for ccm41 has a wind

whirring noise when panning inside,  only useable for sit down pretty much. i've seen a few other guys with the same problem, pretty sure the noise comes from the rubber shock,  because if I cover the rubber with my fingers and move it fast, the wind goes away.

second is just a niggling complaint,  I just miss being able to adjust the angle of the mount with pressure... the cinela is either locked tight, or loose.  The rycotes u can tension the, but quickly grab the head and change the angle.   minor problem,  but wish had the same locking as rycote.

hoping the minix problem will be fixed,  will record it soon and send to Phillipe to try work on a solution.  

love my Cinela's, I have the piano, piannissimo, and minix ccm41's

the minix cinela for ccm41 has a wind

whirring noise when panning inside,  only useable for sit down pretty much. i've seen a few other guys with the same problem, pretty sure the noise comes from the rubber shock,  because if I cover the rubber with my fingers and move it fast, the wind goes away.

That's interesting you say that. I hired a Minix to test with my CCM41and a B5D before I bought one, it had the wire suspension. It worked great, I loved it. When I ordered one to buy , it was the  newer plastic version, and I got considerable wind noise with gentle movements indoors. So, I sent it back for a wire one and the problem was solved. 

The wire versions are more delicate, but I think they work better with the B5D.

I have had those same noises with the plastic bits as well as the loose wires, my thing is different. It may be a CMIT-specific issue. It's louder than an RF CMIT thudding, and it happens when you quickly swing up and down. Also when you "plop" the bottom of the pole to rest it (like on your foot in between takes) it makes the noise.

I PM-ed you Philippe! Not sure where to send the WAV files to!

Dan Izen

Thanks! You mean those arch-shaped pieces? They have slipped in the past and rubbed each other. At the moment those are correct, and not touching. Everything looks good, nothing's loose. There's just a loud thump whenever the mic is swung up and down, or when the end of the pole is firmly set down...

Dan Izen

• 8 years later...
On 4/19/2015 at 8:48 AM, afewmoreyears said:

Yeah, it's funny, different paths...lol

If your shooting ext., then i could see having a few mics already in zeppelins, making mic changes really fast...  with the gadgets or without...  You can throw money at this stuff till the cows come home, but in reality, you can easily do with simply looking at the schedule, looking at your scene or shot and making a mic choice and doing your shot... I seldom change mics while already shooting... I try to take a listen and arrive at a mic before hand... most of the time just knowing what should work best... if I have a feeling something else may be better suited, ... I will listen to two I think are best..... at the most...

works for scripted content, sure.  I'd love to move to cinela for my doc kit, but the inside/outside thing is tricky.  there is no schedule.  you just go outside when you need to go outside.  and short shotgun often gets used in both situations.   i have no idea how these blimps come apart...i take it the mount is integral and the shell doens't just come off.  still learning.  they seem like more complicated beasts than rycote blimpls.