New from Schoeps/Ultrasone

Jeff Wexler

This is a beauty but I can only imagine what this will cost!

post-1-0-68185700-1428506585_thumb.jpg

The HSC 4VXS is a completely integrated headset.

A compact microphone CCM 4VXS (cardioid designed for extremely close pickup of speech) is permanently connected with the Ultrasone HFI 680 headphone via a gooseneck element.

A compact microphone CCM 4VXS (cardioid designed for extremely close pickup of speech) is permanently connected with the Ultrasone HFI 680 headphone via a gooseneck element.

Any chance we can collectively persuade them to bring out a limited edition with an interchangeable side address MK6(VXS) capsule for a greater variety over pickup, spill and proximity effect?

I don't think many of us would baulk at say an extra 1.5k on the price tag for such convenience?

Jez

At around $200 the headphones alone aren't terribly expensive. I'm failing to see how adding a microphone would possibly justify such a raise in cost, particularly when there are other options.

It's not just a microphone. It's a mic which on its own already costs more than $2500. so a mic wasn't added to a set of headphones, a set of headphones was added to a mic.

I was just thinking it would be a great option for sportscaster headsets and they have a aesthetic look which is already used for racing, at least somewhat with the pit reporters using bigger noise isolating type headsets... however I wondered if the headset portion is a noise isolating variety like a david n Clark style (haven't read all the spec) so I wonder how they hold up under high Spl, I guess if that's what they're designed for they should be good... I'm sure fine for the announce booth, however I'm skeptical about pit use... I guess I will have to tune in.. Either way the mic should sound superb, I'd guess much nicer than the Sennheiser hmd 25/26 (not to say the hmd 25 is terrible)

The UK list price is around £1459+VAT. Our supplier mentions that the previous versions are used on Formula 1 so I would imagine these would be for similar use/situation as Constantin points out.

If you have a use for it and want it then why not. :)

Of course not. Schoeps claim they have developed it with the help of a TV station for their Formula 1 casts.

Most of Schoeps's products aren't specifically made for our market, but we still love'em and use'em, right?

Our market is sound recording, so I would disagree with you.

And I've used Schoeps for many years in the studio, so I'm not knocking them. However I don't see the point in this product. Do you think the people at Formula 1 need this? I sure don't.

Our market is sound recording, so I would disagree with you.

And I've used Schoeps for many years in the studio, so I'm not knocking them. However I don't see the point in this product. Do you think the people at Formula 1 need this? I sure don't.

Given the amount of money involved in F1, I have no doubt these will find a market there.

I was just thinking it would be a great option for sortscaster headsets and have a aesthetic look which is already used for racing, however I wondered if the headset portion was a noise canceling variety like a david n Clark style(haven't read all the spec) so I wonder how they hold up under high Spl, I guess if that's what they're designed for they should be good... I'm sure fine for the announce booth, however I'm skeptical about pit use... I guess I will have to tune in.. Either way the mic should sound superb, I'd guess much nicer than the Sennheiser hmd 25/26 (not to say the hmd 25 is terrible)

I would not recommend the HFI-680 for pit or track use. 

Most of the David Clark models I'm familiar with are noise-isolating, rather than noise-canceling.  The Remote Audio HN7506 are made for use in High Noise situations (hence, the HN).  They are constructed with Sony 7506 drivers in David Clark type isolating cups.  For noise-canceling, see some of the Bose models.