Field Recorder

mikevarela

Ok, don't shoot me. I know it's been covered. Been looking through posts for quite a bit and wanted to get some opinions.

Can't buy a Sound Devices - Too expensive.

I'm between 3 devices.

Fostex FR2LE

Tascam DR-680mk2

Tascam DR-100mk2

I'm using my own mics, A Rode NT4 Stereo and soon to purchase a NTG3. I'm interested in gathering SFX and BGs.

Any reccomendations on buid and preamp quality of these three?

My choice (for FX collection) out of the 4 mentioned would be the Tascam DR 680 MkII ... if only for the 6 (+2) tracks you can record FX on. If you're not recording surround and 3-point stereo at the moment I'm sure you'll be wanting to at some point.

And whilst it doesn't have any timecode functionality (not itself usually a requirement for FX recording not to picture) it does have an AES/SPDIF digital in, which would allow it to be synchronised to another recorder (with digital out) ... without the timecode, but with a guide track and in sync.

That would make it a perfect companion later on (if timecode became an issue) to link to the aforementioned HDP2 and similar units or to practically any of the more expensive machines. Of course for simple track count it will link to another of its own easily. I personally couldn't see myself getting rid of one of these - it would always be a potential extra track backup. (I doubt I'd be too happy  having to deal with production tracks without the TC or metadata but we're talking FX right?)

If you really just want two tracks I might even consider something smaller to carry about though.

No idea on the preamps of either Mk1 or 2. My guess is they're as good as you're going to get for the money and you can always put a better front end on them and go in Line when you upgrade (your mics, preamps and recorder).

Jez