Rechargeable Batteries for TX

Scott Selman

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Capacity-Rechargeable-Batteries-Pre-charged/dp/B00HZV9YE0/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G2QQSWJJAMMV67Y7VPE

I've been using these Amazon Basics AA batteries.  Work really well and get all day in the TS-C slate and SB3 sync boxes.

No official runtimes in my SMQv but I only use them in TX for non-critical situations. That being said, I would say 3-4 hours at minimum before needing to change.

My charger of choice is Powerex Maha 801D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E5S648/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do a soft charge night before the shoot with conditioning every 15-20 charges (when time convenient)

According to a bunch of users of that charger on Amazon see pics, it can destroy batteries and cause a fire. Has it been redesigned with safety and fail-safes in mind now ... do you know. because if it was not for these design flaws evident in the unit melting down of the device, it seems like it would be a nice charger if it was indeed safe. These posts are older so that's why I am asking if you may know if they have redesigned the electronics in this unit. If a charger can self destruct cause a pos fire and destroy your cells, in my opin that is very bad circuit design.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Capacity-Rechargeable-Batteries-Pre-charged/dp/B00HZV9YE0/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G2QQSWJJAMMV67Y7VPE

I've been using these Amazon Basics AA batteries.  Work really well and get all day in the TS-C slate and SB3 sync boxes.

No official runtimes in my SMQv but I only use them in TX for non-critical situations. That being said, I would say 3-4 hours at minimum before needing to change.

My charger of choice is Powerex Maha 801D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E5S648/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do a soft charge night before the shoot with conditioning every 15-20 charges (when time convenient)

The enloop pros last all week in my TS-3's, GR-1s, and all day in the sync boxes. About 5 hours in my SMV's and 3 hours in my TRXLTs. I'll be switching away from those to the two battery version due to that and some other factors. Enloop pros are the best I've found to date.

is it really just me? I have found my Panasonic blacks (and the earlier Eneloops too) to be ok when charged the very last night before the shooting day. When I have them sitting charged in the box for 2-3 days (let alone weeks) my Zaxcom receivers start at R6 or 7 (9 would be full).

No, they lose a little charge a day or two after you charge them. They have a minimum and a maximum capacity.

According to a bunch of users of that charger on Amazon see pics, it can destroy batteries and cause a fire. Has it been redesigned with safety and fail-safes in mind now ... do you know. because if it was not for these design flaws evident in the unit melting down of the device, it seems like it would be a nice charger if it was indeed safe. These posts are older so that's why I am asking if you may know if they have redesigned the electronics in this unit. If a charger can self destruct cause a pos fire and destroy your cells, in my opin that is very bad circuit design.

Interesting to know.

I cant speak for the design (either new or old), but I have had my unit for over a year without any issues.

I always do a soft charge when charging my AA batts.

Besides the Amazon Basics AA batts I listed above, I also use these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QJ1VW4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work great in the TS-C slate and I have gotten minimum of two production days from a single charge.

Replacing my powerex with Panasonic Pro "formelly eneloops" was the best decision I ever made...

why? specifics please. 

I'm still using powerex but I'm starting to get tired of their performance. Plus, I probably should have labeled my batteries with the date I put them in service because now I can't tell which one's are the older batteries. How much longer use are you getting out of the Pan. Pro's? 

why? specifics please. 

I'm still using powerex but I'm starting to get tired of their performance. Plus, I probably should have labeled my batteries with the date I put them in service because now I can't tell which one's are the older batteries. How much longer use are you getting out of the Pan. Pro's? 

My main reason for switching over was I was sick of the depletion rate of the Maha. If I hadn't used them in them in the last few days without charging I didn't trust them. The Panasonic Pro's do deplete slightly when not used, but no where near to the same degree.

I would get roughly 3.5 hours out of a Maha Powerex in a SMa single battery TX and about 5 hours out of a Pana. Haven't actually timed them in my TRXla.

Cheers Nate.

The black Eneloops have a very flat bottom which can cause connection issues in some devices. Do the Amazon batteries have that same flat bottom?

if you are referring to the panasonic black eneloop pro's, not true at least in mine, which were purchased fairly recently. they have a circular disc protruding outward, much like the previous rech batts i have used. no battery contact issues with zaxcom or lectro transmitters when i ran tests with impact, bumps etc. i havent seen the ones you speak of however i could see the problems you mention with batteries being flat on the bottom. i did experience problems with original sm's a while back where talent would bump into something sitting down and the door would lose contact with the batteries but i havent experienced that with sma or newer model transmitters.

so far over the past couple weeks, the charges are holding strong even after sitting a few days.

-Ken

if you are referring to the panasonic black eneloop pro's, not true at least in mine, which were purchased fairly recently. they have a circular disc protruding outward, much like the previous rech batts i have used. no battery contact issues with zaxcom or lectro transmitters when i ran tests with impact, bumps etc. i havent seen the ones you speak of however i could see the problems you mention with batteries being flat on the bottom. i did experience problems with original sm's a while back where talent would bump into something sitting down and the door would lose contact with the batteries but i havent experienced that with sma or newer model transmitters.

so far over the past couple weeks, the charges are holding strong even after sitting a few days.

-Ken

Good to know Ken! Maybe I got a bad batch. They definitely cause trouble in my Lectro LR receivers. Not so much in the LT transmitters. I'm going to contact the vendor and see what they say. They are for sure the Black Eneloop Pros. The bottom disk is flush with the end of the battery and the wrapper is getting skinned away a little on some of them from the door rubbing on them as its closed.