Rechargeable Batteries for TX

Scott Selman

On 5/22/2018 at 4:39 AM, afewmoreyears said:

I have never had any of the Black Eneloop pros swell in any of my gear... SD, Lectro, Denecke etc..

I had this happen a week ago with my Sound Devices 552....  now is unusable with a dead battery stuck in it, I'll need to investigate opening up entirely my 552

After a very successful run - nearly 8 years without a single issue across a huge number of batteries from a variety of shipments - with Maha Imedions (the low-self discharge PowerEx), I've moved on to Amazon Basics. I'm over a year in and pretty happy - they don't seem to swell at all. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I had this happen a week ago with my Sound Devices 552....  now is unusable with a dead battery stuck in it, I'll need to investigate opening up entirely my 552

There's no point in opening up the 552--the batteries are in a metal tube inside the mixer.  You have to get a long drill bit and drill into the exposed end of the battery, then screw in an Easy-Out so you can turn the battery out of the tube.

55 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

There's no point in opening up the 552--the batteries are in a metal tube inside the mixer.  You have to get a long drill bit and drill into the exposed end of the battery, then screw in an Easy-Out so you can turn the battery out of the tube.

DO NOT DRILL NIMH BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!!(!!!!!

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

7 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Can't I get access to the opposite end of the 552 if I open it up?? Thus I could then push out the battery from that side.

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

This was with Eneloops?

Yes.

"I held a soldering iron to the end of the battery tube and it expanded it enough to get the batteries out, obviously do this with caution, you only want to warm it, not melt it. "

That is an interesting suggestion worth giving a go. 

Curious as to the logic of why a freezer would work? (if anything, I'd guess the 552's battery case would expand faster than the battery itself, and thus shrink faster, than a battery would. Thus making it colder would be the opposite of what I'd want?)

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Curious as to the logic of why a freezer would work? (if anything, I'd guess the 552's battery case would expand faster than the battery itself, and thus shrink faster, than a battery would. Thus making it colder would be the opposite of what I'd want?)

Perhaps the idea is that when you take the unit out of the freezer, the battery case expands as it warms up while the battery remains cold and shrunken.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Ah yes, that does indeed make sense! As immediately after it is taken out of the freezer the battery would be even more stuck than before, but after a few minutes or so has passed then the 552 battery compartment will have expanded more than the battery itself. Thanks, that is logical and makes sense. 

Maybe also the nimh battery behaves differently at extreme temperatures than the steel battery tube? If they behaved similarly, than both might also expand at high temperatures, thereby not even creating this problem. So maybe they behave differently in freezing temps, too. 

37 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

Playing with numbers. 

3000mWh = 2000mah

Not enough power 

Hi Rado,

For devices with switching power supplies (almost everybody now), the numbers to compare are mWh since the switchers will pull less current with a 1.5 Volt LiPo than with a 1.2 Volt NiMh. Switchers ideally are constant power input devices (more voltage less current). If the LiPo batteries are really 3000 mWh then that compares exactly to a 2500 mAh NiMh battery. The output voltage average under load for a NiMh is 1.2 Volts and 1.2 Volts times 2500 mAh is the same 3000 mWh as the LiPo claim. In reality, the NiMh is a touch higher than 1.2 Volts (5%). Plus, the LiPo marketing department might be making "best possible" performance claims.

In sum, if the marketing department specs are apples to apples, a 2500 mAh NiMh and a 3000 mWh LiPo should run a modern device for the same time. If they don't, one of those apples is a lemon.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher 

On 5/22/2018 at 10:03 PM, RadoStefanov said:

Ikea in my openion have weaker shealding outer label then amazon basics.

I haven't found that yet. I have learned to be careful with all rechargeables, as they all seem to come apart if you're not careful.

Alright guys, I cannot take this any more…

Sound devices issue is the rotation of the battery. the overlap of plastic on the battery itself has to be oriented in the correct way. Simply rotate clockwise the stuck battery tiny amount with a small magnet until the battery moves back and forth freely. It is not because the batteries are swelling from use. I thought that was the case with EBL and POWEREX, but after glueing a neodymium magnet to the end of a pencil and rotating the batts, they all come easily out. 

I just didn't want to reveal my secret, but your suffering is making me feel guilty. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have both but prefer the Enloop pros... Why, because after a long time using them I am in a comfort zone due to them always working the way I want them to with no issues...at all..  Until that changes, the Enloop pros it is... a bit more price wise, but at this point, who cares.. The Ladda's are NOT my go to.... I use them for non mission sensitive uses...  If you can't get the Laddas from IKEA, just get the Pro Enloops and be done with it..