FB

osa

am i missing something by not ever looking at facebook? i've noticed a lot of cross-talk between jw and facebook and a lot of my fellow mixer friends talk only of facebook posts as their source of new info instead of jw. i feel a sense of loyalty to jw and its members for all the help over the years (thanks Jeff for all you do! just watched the LA SOUND GROUP youtube video for the first time). i pretty much avoid facebook audio topics for the same reason i avoid facebook socially. i feel like i dont have time and facebook sometimes drives me nuts. Here i feel is a place to immediately goto and talk shop without all the riffraff that goes with facebook. am i missing out?

-Ken

Well, for me personally, I have to do it all --- JWSOUND (of course), Facebook (my own Facebook, the jwsound.net Facebook page, all the other Facebook Pages and Groups) and several other forum discussion groups. I don't think you are missing anything, for the most part, but discussions in the various venues all of their own unique tone, charm and annoyances. You just have to decide for yourself how much you can take and where you spend your valuable time.

am i missing out?

Yes. There is alot of activity on facebook.

The zaxcom user group is very active with question tips and lots of Zaxcom chat. Howy, Colleen and Glenn are fairly active in the group. John and Matt are often posting in SD group and you can always see Karl and Gordon in the Lectro group. And due to the volume of stuff sometimes i cant keep up with all the posts in the freelance sound mixer group and the jw sound on Facebook group.

I prefer JW for production sound talk. I agree that the quality of Facebook groups on production sound are low. Minimal tech, complaining is common place and sadly slandering can be seen on some groups as well. JW seems to have more integrity, wisdom & and over all a more enjoyable experience.

However on a deeper level ( I'm gonna get all conspiracy theory on you now ) I think the Facebook platform itself is highly influential on how people behave and respond to each other digitally. The design of Facebook is quite scary to me. We're talking big ad business here, and a highly addictive platform that wants to influence your thoughts & feelings about a reality that doesn't really exist.

Seems different to me Jack. Everyones appetite for social media varies. (I'm a glutton.)   I think sometimes it gets more personal here @jw because we are a more insular group and it can at times lead to more heated and personal exchanges. (Guilty at times myself)    Whereas FB is more a public place with world wide access by way more people, so folks seem to think before they post. Personally I come here for the people and info and I go to FB for the social media of "friends" , even though I do belong to the subgroups of sound mixers and vendors on FB, I seldom engage. Perhaps that's why I see it different than Jack.

As for missing out?   We went many decades without FB & social media and did ok.

CrewC

Seems different to me Jack. Everyones appetite for social media varies. (I'm a glutton.)   I think sometimes it gets more personal here @jw because we are a more insular group and it can at times lead to more heated and personal exchanges. (Guilty at times myself)    Whereas FB is more a public place with world wide access by way more people, so folks seem to think before they post. Personally I come here for the people and info and I go to FB for the social media of "friends" , even though I do belong to the subgroups of sound mixers and vendors on FB, I seldom engage. Perhaps that's why I see it different than Jack.

As for missing out?   We went many decades without FB & social media and did ok.

CrewC

But the speed and complexity has increased enormously eg. mono Nagra to 'God help us soon' Deva 32 :) and a new camera every week, and if you don't keep up...... :( as they say, bad things could happen......

I do feel the responses here are lightning fast in most cases. The Zaxcom group, not so much. Jack – do you feel Facebook is possibly the better option to get input for zaxcom specific questions? I've always had better luck asking zaxcom questions here personally vs the zaxcom group, even asking the same question in both places. Its been a while since i've been on the zaxcom boards but it seems like a public "ask Howie" forum

-Ken

But the speed and complexity has increased enormously eg. mono Nagra to 'God help us soon' Deva 32 :) and a new camera every week, and if you don't keep up...... :( as they say, bad things could happen......

All true.

But information overload is also an issue. The cream rises to the top and the best info travels far and at it's own pace.;~)

CrewC

As far as using FB, I never have. There is something about the proliferation of social media that leaves me feeling that the majority is noise rather than signal.

And yet, I can chart my growth as a young professional (not being young in body...lol) as before, and after JW.

-When I became double booked for the first time after grad school, I sent a personal PM to Crew, asking if he thought it was safe for me to post a job offering to people I didn't know; he encouraged me to trust the site and I did. The result was what is now a veritable colleague network to whom I regularly farm out work to, and has resulted in actual friendships (when are going to the Zoo again, Johnny ?...lol).

-When I wanted to move out of my initial bag kit, I sold my starter kit, finding yet another trustworthy member here to buy it (Thanks Jesse !).

-When I found myself without what I needed to move from one job to another while out of town (as a young professional, I find I don't know what I don't know until I need to know it), a post here resulted in Michael McQueen hauling my ashes out of the fire.

-Without participating in FB, my client and colleague network grew to the point where I was able to quit my supplementary moonlighting gig (OMG what a relief).

Would things have progressed as quickly, or more quickly, by participating in FB ?

I don't know, but I'm ecstatically pleased that my participating here has been enough to propel me forward in a manner that now supports me and my daughter.

JWSoundgroup will always be where it's at for me.

Best

Steven

I do feel the responses here are lightning fast in most cases. The Zaxcom group, not so much. Jack – do you feel Facebook is possibly the better option to get input for zaxcom specific questions? I've always had better luck asking zaxcom questions here personally vs the zaxcom group, even asking the same question in both places. Its been a while since i've been on the zaxcom boards but it seems like a public "ask Howie" forum

-Ken

You should see my facebook messenger... 

^^^^Rado,I bet it's chock full of mono-syllabic responses from you! ;p

I like reading JW for ideas and innovation when it comes to changing the way I work as a professional. Many of the active users here work on much larger projects in scale than I do and have at least decade if not decades more experience than me. So there's a lot to learn from reading on here for me. Also, the format allows for discussions to evolve and continue over a long period of time. Also not nearly the volume of crap that's on FB. Also, the organization of a true forum with threads rather than just a looooooooong list that is impossible to sort through or search.

But it's a double-edged sword because I rarely get responses to my posts here other than something to the effect of "meh." I know lots of younger sound folks who read this forum often but seldom or never post because they are afraid of being embarrassed. FB is a lot less intimidating but also I find a lot less useful for gear and method information-- but better for finding work in my market-- in that way FB has been moderately useful to me.

Logged onto FB one morning, saw a fellow mixer had just posted that he needed someone to cover for him on a commercial. Responded immediately.

Ended up with about 5 days or so of full-rate commercial mixing.

If you ask me, it's worth being involved in anything that allows you to know what's going on in your professional community.

You can always limit who are your "friends" and what you can see.

It's also easy to mute people so as far as they know you're "friends", but you don't see anything they post. I know people that mute 80% or 90% of their "friends" on Facebook. if you do a little tweaking, you can definitely get more control over what you do and do not see in the news feed. Also, don't "like" products or companies like Mcdonalds or some laundry detergent. The more consumer info like that they can get, the more people can pay to target ads at you.

It's also easy to mute people so as far as they know you're "friends", but you don't see anything they post. I know people that mute 80% or 90% of their "friends" on Facebook. if you do a little tweaking, you can definitely get more control over what you do and do not see in the news feed. Also, don't "like" products or companies like Mcdonalds or some laundry detergent. The more consumer info like that they can get, the more people can pay to target ads at you.

Yes -

Facebook shares rose to $77.89 on September 9, valuing the company at $202 billion. That makes Facebook the 22nd largest company in the world, and the largest social media company.8 Sep 2014

there's a reason for this kind of valuation, Facebook is something of a pact with you know who?

Hopefully at some point there'll be a massive backlash against the commercialization of our interaction, and a better internet option will emerge, but it doesn't look like happening any time soon, as people seem to love Facebook too much.

Personally I hate it and it's interface, and make my interaction with it minimal, but reluctantly admit, it can be quite useful for information and discussion, as Jack pointed out with the Zaxcom Facebook group more active than the dedicated Zaxcom forum.
And as Cory pointed out JW is much better than Facebook, though you can search a Facebook group from a desktop interface fairly effectively.

And FB is sometimes just downright stupid, it never gives up trying to tell me -
"You have more friends on Facebook than you think"
Eh! Actually I don't, and I don't want to be emailed this over and over again, but I can't find 'would you just **** off' in the labyrinthine privacy settings :)