New Digital Radio from Audio Limited

John Willett

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do someone know what "audio propretary codec" it's they are using to record?

I want tu use it with Pluraleyes. I wonder if it can read it?

in the IPS video Kish states that the format is a data compressed format that expands to normal full quality WAV with a computer based conversion utility.

It is my understanding that Audio, Ltd. is handling the record capability in much the same way as Zaxcom. Zaxcom transmitters record the data in a proprietary data compressed .zax file. Zaxconvert is a utility that processes this file yielding a standard .wav file. Data compression is NOT compression of the audio as we normally think of compression.

Patrick, it's possible that you do not have a full understanding of wireless data transmission, data compression and the other things that go into a fully digital wireless transmitter. This is not surprising if you have not already owned and used Zaxcom Digital recording wireless --- this is no simple feat to accomplish, one of the reasons Zaxcom has a US patent on the process. There are lots of reasons that the Zaxcom Digital wireless transmitters, and now the Audio, Ltds., are not just transmitters with a little audio recorder built in.

I believe that the audio recorded on the internal card is compressed because of the data rate of the bus to the card. Uncompressed recording is quite possible, but would be too close to the speed limit of the card, so to keep everything safe, the data is compressed to go onto the card. data compression, not audio compression, as I went to some pains, in my IBC IV with Kish, to point out.

The data compression is to my knowledge lossless so it is of no great consequence, other than the issue of uncompressing before use later on.

Kindest, sb

I believe that the audio recorded on the internal card is compressed because of the data rate of the bus to the card. Uncompressed recording is quite possible, but would be too close to the speed limit of the card, so to keep everything safe, the data is compressed to go onto the card.

i don't know anything about the reasons of writing the compressed data to the card, but card speed is very unlikely it. even if you would write at uncompressed 96khz/24bit you'll still about five times less what a 5D  and about 50-100times times less what a blackmagic pocket writes to an SD card.

i can imagine the reasons could be from the architecture (ADC and compression could happen in one step, power savings etc), or it might be the choice that the benefits (space savings/longer recording times) are bigger then the disadvantages. quite possibly it could also be that they offer encrypted recording which might be easier with their already compressed/encrypted signal.